Pigeon problems!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 11 April 2011 6.59pm
Hi there

This is a little bit moany but as I am now taking a detour to avoid the pavement by the Abbey Street railway bridge, I was wondering if anyone knows who I could talk to (moan some more!) about the mess the pigeons are making? Is it the council, or does someone else have responsibility for the arches? I have also heard about a website that you can point out things in your neighbourhood but I can't remember what it's called.
This week has really been my final straw-being pooed one day on the way to work, dead pigeon another and dead baby pigeon another!! None of the other pavements through the arches seem to be in a remotely similar state and it seems strange that on such a busy road, this one is the one that they have left alone. As they obviously need to clean the pavement a couple of times a week, wouldn't it make more sense to put up some pigeon proofing instead?
Monday 11 April 2011 9.31pm
Not moany at all. Nasty stuff pigeon mess. I don't like hysteria about 'pest' animals and I don't wish any harm to pigeons but you're right to complain with this one. It's a bit bad under the Druid St/Crucifix Lane arch too. Maybe try the council first somewhere under environment?
Sorry I can't be more help but just wanted to agree with you it needs sorting.
Monday 11 April 2011 11.32pm
If you report the problem on Fix My Street, it will be passed to Southwark Council. They should be able to channel it to the correct dept (hopefully).

Click here.
Zoe
Tuesday 12 April 2011 6.44am
Wouldn't a railway arch be a Network rail issue, rather than the council?
Tuesday 12 April 2011 7.18am
That's true - I was thinking maybe a moan from Southwark Council to Network Rail would carry more weight!
Tuesday 12 April 2011 8.33am
Thanks for the replies guys. Fix my Street was the one I was thinking of so I will do that asap. Likewise beetroot I don't wish the pigeons any harm but it really is horrible there, especially as they are nesting at the moment.

This is pure conjecture but maybe developers of the flats around there have had a hand in some of the other arches in the area being spruced up as it certainly makes them more attractive. Or maybe the council feels that the congestion on a busy road whilst the work is done isn't worth it.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 9.48am
If I remember correctly, Southwark Council called our office a few years ago, basically asking for suggestions on how they could improve the area. After being pooped on under the arch by Westminster Bridge Road (which is Lambeth funnily enough) I asked them to do something about their train arches and two weeks later they did a brilliant job with the arch on Tanner Street (which used to be pretty bad) and Druid Street.

At Tanner Street they used steel fencing, however for Druid Street they used netting, which the pigeons eventually bit through or did whatever they did to get in. A few pigeons died getting stuck up there but I noticed they have now disappeared. But the pigeons are back in full force on a bad diet at the Druid Street arch, especially on the East side of the road, that really is running the gauntlet. And yes Abbey Street has always been pretty bad, too.

Unfortunately I would not know where to start in terms of who to contact at Southwark Council, but I believe they are the people to contact.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 11.57am
Yes, it is Southwark Council that you need to get in touch with - I walk past the Druid Street arch in the morning and they are there at least twice a week cleaning off the pavement. Next time I see them I'll ask who it is you need to speak to.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 1.26pm
I live near there and we got something through the post on planning permission for the rouel road arch. I think it was the intention to do up all the arches in teh area - the abbey street/druid ones are really scummy now and do need to be sorted
Tuesday 12 April 2011 1.48pm
I just heard network rail are doing compulsory purchases of at least some of the arches in the Crucifix Lane area, so they will probably be smartened up.

I think the main issue with the netting is that the pigeons can fly up to the brick pillars where the netting begins and squeeze their way in. If the netting in that area was brought to below pillar level I doubt they'd be able to fly there to begin with.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network