Houses on Roupell Street (Waterloo) -- Is it safe there?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 13 April 2011 11.10pm
Hi, all.

I noticed a couple of houses for sale on and near Roupell Street in Waterloo.

Can I ask, given all the council estates nearby, would it be safe living in one of these? I realize the neighborhood overall is fine; I'm just concerned about being in a house (as opposed to an apartment block, where I'd feel much more secure).

Thank you.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 11.20pm
Welcome to the forum, shunting123

You might want to rephrase your question a little if you want to get helpful, supportive answers - we are an inclusive community and participants in this forum live in all types of housing, including (gasp) council estates.

People quite understandably get a little upset when sweeping statements and generalisations are made, even where there is no intent to cause offence.

I'm sure members of the forum will be happy to respond to a general enquiry about local crime and safety in Waterloo, though, and will look forward to welcoming you to the neighbourhood if you choose to move here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 14 April 2011 6.07pm
Roupell Street is incredibly expensive, I don't think the prices would be that high if living there was a problem. I live in one of the council blocks around the corner and we've all lovely, don't worry!

We do have crime issues in Waterloo, but it's more about drinking, crime around the station like pick pocketing and bike theft (we're fourth highest or something ridiculous like that).

It's a great place to live, you are fine buying here. If you're also single you are particularly welcome, and I have lots of single friends I can hook you up with...
Thursday 14 April 2011 6.24pm
I tried looking up the street on the local area crime website thingy but it kept crashing on me - must be worth checking if you are concerned though. Roupell Street is really lovely.

Zoe - I dont think you're allowed to promote your local dating business through the threads! ;)
Friday 15 April 2011 8.12pm
Dear Neil,
No, it would not be safe to live there,given that you have aired your views in public about people who live in council estates.
Friday 15 April 2011 8.58pm
That is very funny Dorothy--- there is a few dodgey housing asc tenants lurking too! (Joke)
Friday 15 April 2011 10.41pm
what would it matter if it is near council estates? you get good and bad everywhere, its a fact of life and its just having to live with that. not everyone who lives on a council estate is a villian! some people seem to forget that there are good,honest,people and families that live on the housing estates.ok i know some housing estates have bad reputations but that dosent mean that every single housing tenant has to have one with it! a majority of council estate tenants are lovley people, the salt of the earth!
Friday 15 April 2011 11.01pm
Sorry Neil, I meant the message for shunting123
Saturday 16 April 2011 1.34pm
Se1 has a fantastic sense of community. Ive lived in the area a relatively short time but fell in love with it when i worked here. People do look out for each other and a friend has moved into a flat on an se1 estate having just got back from afganistan. He has said its the first time living in london he has known all his neighbours. There are families that have lived here for generations and a mixed community of new arrivals. Overall we are priviledged to live in such a vibrant and central part of london which is pretty much very safe.

Expect to get your bike nicked though.
Saturday 16 April 2011 2.05pm
yeah theres no crime there at all...

i think the unfortunate part of this forum is that all threads seemed to get hijacked by liberals, where everything is hunky dory and everyone gets along famously..

i am sure the council estate is fine, but as we all know se1 has youth problems, lack of respect,bike theft, petty theft, violence and break ins are common place, i do not know one person who has not been affected by it..

so you pay your money you take your chance, most of london is like this...

until someone tackles the poor state of education and lack of opportunity it will continue,,

but of course someone will post the opposite.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: