Has anyone else been hit with a huge increase in their car insurance premium?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 14 April 2011 9.27pm
Has anyone else been hit with a huge increase in their car insurance premium?
If so I'd love to hear from you. I'm a freelance journalist currently writing for the South London Press. If you'd like to have your say then please get in touch, my email address is alecmacfarlane@hotmail.com. Many sincere thanks.
Thursday 14 April 2011 10.20pm
Mistaking this for an actual discussion I will post what I was going to write, anyway -

I was hit with a doubled premium, and comparison websites were showing 15% increase on last year's premium too, though for some reason Aviva were 12% cheaper than last year's premium... which made enduring those Paul Whitehouse adverts all worthwhile. no connection etc.
Thursday 14 April 2011 10.53pm
Hi Colinio, discussion welcome of course! South London has always had it hard with car insurance, but I'm hearing of 70-100% increases this year which seem neither fair or relative to insurance company overhead increases. Why has yours doubled? Was there any explanation?
Friday 15 April 2011 7.22am
My wife's re-newal quotation, (no accidents, max NCD) increased by over 50%, from just south of 395.00 to over 600.00.
Without naming names, I went on a comparison site and got her an identical deal for 380.00.
She received a pro-forma letter from her previous insurers, "Sorry to lose you, did we do something wrong?"
She emailed back their quote and a copy of her new insurance cost.
Case closed.
Friday 15 April 2011 7.47am
We got a renewal quote from Admiral up from 300 last years to 500. After looking at price comparison sites, got a quote of 300 from Elephant. Called Admiral and asked if they could better their quote - they asked who had quoted 300 and when I said Elephant, they said "oh, they're part of the same company as us so yes we'll do it for 300".

Glad it's been reduced but annoyed that they try it on like this for supposedly loyal customers.
Friday 15 April 2011 11.25am
Can't quite believe the cheek of them to tell you that. Just reading through recent articles and stats. Apparently the rise in legal costs due to accidents and ambulance chasing has added an average of 40 to UK premiums. That doesn't account for the increases I'm hearing, and the effect of disasters abroad shouldn't affect anything as these are usually ringfenced. On top of this the EU ruling on women paying the same premiums as men won't come into effect for another couple of years.

A few people on the East Dulwich forum have said they've suffered a 70-100% increase despite having a clean record, whereas national average increases have generally been between 20-50%.

Was there any explanation for the increase?
Friday 15 April 2011 1.45pm
according to the confused.com/towerswatson car insurance price index london premiums are up 41% on average. I've contacted towerswatson to get a more detailed regional breakdown, fingers crossed.
Saturday 16 April 2011 8.00am
I think that there is probably a hard-core of drivers out there whose only reason to have vehicle insurance is to be able to legally drive their vehicle.
It is certainly true in my case.
The only times that I have ever involved my insurers is when someone else has hit my vehicle and I have a rock solid case to claim from their insurers.
If I have ever accidentally damaged my vehicle, or my wife hers, (touched a post, a wall, someone unknown opened their door too far in a car park etc), then rather than risk losing a 100% NCD I have paid for the repair myself.
Naturally if ever the damage should be substantial then I would have to bite the bullet and go through my insurers.
Fortunately, knock on wood, so far this has never come to pass.
As a professional driver who needs his vehicle in order to earn his daily bread I move heaven and earth to keep it that way.
Saturday 16 April 2011 6.07pm
Hi Tom, has yours gone up by much at all this year?
Sunday 17 April 2011 8.10am
Alec wrote:
Hi Tom, has yours gone up by much at all this year?

Strangely enough Alec my actual premium went down.
Every year at renewal time my broker sends me a letter stating; Your insurance expires on xx.xx.xx, please remit X for the continuation of your insurance policy.
This year, as last year, the letter said, "Your existing insurers require a premium of X, but we have secured another quote of X minus from another company."
The actual numbers were around 1150, reduced to 960.
My old Mum didn't raise any fools, I went for the 960.
960 for fully comprehensive insurance on a working London black cab, insured and spouse only driving, (she'll go to Tesco in the cab if I block her car in, she says other drivers treat her with more respect when she's at the wheel that as opposed to her Fiat), seems a pretty good deal to me.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: