Deserted playgrounds in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 15 April 2011 11.21am
Do you know any much-used playgrounds in SE1? I know lots of lovely playgrounds, but nobody seems to go. We go in the late afternoon, on weekends or Holidays, but the picture is no different during daytime... There is a tiny playground in St Georges Road that we deem our private one because in three years ours were always the only kids on there. Little Dorrit playground has usually about 2 kids. Even the big one in the park by the Imperial War Museum often has 5 kids even on weekends, but could take 50 or more.

The only not-so-lonely-days seem to be those very few 25 degrees and sunshine ones. It would be lovely to meet other local kids without organizing playdates.
Friday 15 April 2011 11.53am
Hi Katia - my local, the Alfred Salter Playground in Druid Street, is always deserted when I walk past.

However, the playground in Southwark Park always seems to be much used when I walk past. Plus you can feed the ducks and grab a coffee!
Friday 15 April 2011 12.32pm
We'll try Southwark Park next time we go to Surrey Docks city farm then, thanks BSB.

Whenever somebody suggests removing a playground for some building I feel sad but I also know they are impossible to defend, under-used as they are.
Friday 15 April 2011 9.29pm
The plyground at Archbishops park is fantastic (pirate themed with a giant sandpit) and is always busy. I personally travel past local playgrounds as it is worth a journey
Friday 15 April 2011 9.51pm
The one at Archbishops Park looks great, I wish I was little and could play on it. It always seems well used when I've been in there, but that's normally at weekends.
Saturday 16 April 2011 10.01am
The One Oclock club near the War museum used to be great for little uns...hope it is still going strong..
Saturday 16 April 2011 10.26am
I'm a bit surprised you've not found more in Little Dorrit. I often see that one quite busy. Leathermarket Gardens kids bit can be quite lively too. I've not noticed any particular times though.
Saturday 16 April 2011 12.20pm
The biggest disaster is the St. Mary's Churchyard at the Elephant and Castle. It got remodelled by some swanky architectural firm and it's totally user unfriendly, no one lower than seven or eight can get up on the contraptions, it's full of concrete and ugly stone mounds...whoever designed it didnt have any children. The Archbishop's Park is super.
Saturday 16 April 2011 9.34pm
The playground in Spa Park is pretty busy, we go there a lot and there are usually other people there :)
Sunday 17 April 2011 12.48am
Not in SE1, but Nursery Row Park (by East St market and Rodney Rd) has great new play equipment and Play Rangers supervising play every Saturday afternoon (see here)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: