Loss of cycle lanes at Elephant & Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
graham Tuesday 19 April 2011 12.31pm
Two examples of how planners are failing to provide for cyclists, removal of provision here, and failure to provide here.
Absence of safe provision for bicycles means a clash with pedestrians, or vehicles with inevitable injuries. I find myself cycling less, as the environment gets more hostile - are other cyclists feeling the same way?
Julia7239 Tuesday 19 April 2011 12.39pm
Yes! Cyclists themselves are doing no favours. Since my bike has been a right off from that commuter I have been walking everywhere. Today alone as I crossed Borough onto Great Suffolk Street where the road works are, 4 cyclists mounted the pavement and almost hit me rather than getting off their bikes for that small bit of pavement. Time and again when I am at lights, people swan past going through reds.

I think there needs to be a massive increase in huge penalties, because of this type of behaviour drivers are now not taking as much care and cut me up as though it is a sport and commuters attack me....
Zoe Tuesday 19 April 2011 6.05pm
I think your point is right, developers shouldn't just be allowed to block cycle lanes.

I'm very unhappy about the works to Flat Iron Square, the bike lane has been out for weeks and I had a very nasty near miss coming out of America Street on to SBR, where someone was trying to shoot down the side of traffic and gave me a terrible shock.

I believe that legally, access for cyclists is meant to be maintained during road works, but I never see it happening.

I really love the cycle lane further down New Kent Road, it just stops, I always wonder if I'm meant to fly away after the Kwik Fit.
pros Tuesday 19 April 2011 7.22pm
elephant road bit of the cycling route's been blocked off too, and, yes, getting into elephant road from the old kent road is notoriously difficult as it's carland, pavement and road alike.

speaking of road dangers, trying to cross camberwell road, as the light turned green, my partner & i were almost run over by a black cab whose driver was driving his vehicle through a red light and across the pedestrian crossing. and when we stopped, shocked, he had the guts to say 'i didn't see you' - and not a word about him the fact that he should not have been driving through a red light nor trying to run over pedestrians crossing the road when they're entitled to.
jpm Tuesday 19 April 2011 8.39pm
Graham is right. However good or bad the cycle lane was on New Kent Road, the thought was there.

And just blocking the lane without thinking shows that the thought isn't there with the developers.

Julia raises a very good point. That bit of new landscaping on the corner of Gt Suffolk St/ Southwark Bridge Rd/ Webber Street works really badly because the number of cyclists that zip straight across the pavement is tremendous.

Cyclists (of which I'm one) do themselves no favours when everyone thinks they take the mick too.
Teddy Tuesday 19 April 2011 9.10pm
There were notices posted a while ago - if people don't respond to these then this is what happens. Any cyclists wanting to get to the Walworth Road via this crossing has to go around the Heygate or via the E & C. Yet another example of planners and TfL not catering for cyclists - and they wonder why some cycle on the pavement and/or down one way streets (like Elephant Lane)

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions