Clothes moths

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 April 2011 10.40am
hi all,

we live in the shad thames area and are having a massive problem with clothes moths...

we had them last year but they seemed to go over the winter months, now the weather is getting warmer we are literally inundated with them :(

i have noticed a few while i have been out and about, in shops/pubs etc so wondered if anyone else is having the same issue - if they are in this area... or just my flat!!

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of them too... they are driving us nuts!!

Wednesday 20 April 2011 10.57am
FOr some reason they seen to love SE1.
Bags of lavender apparently help. Or line drawers etc in tissue with Lavender Oil enfused.
Wednesday 20 April 2011 11.17am
Spotted and proceeded to decimate one last night. I've thankfully been moth free since the thread below so hoping the little bugger that met his end last night was a stray from an open window. Can you have 'stray' moths?!
Wednesday 20 April 2011 11.30am
You superstar Tolstoy thank you - I have printed that thread... a little light reading this evening for me - through the moths! :)
Thursday 21 April 2011 2.25pm
Talking about bugs, on the BBC news last night, they said that Southwark had the biggest increase of extermination calls for bedbugs (about 72% increase over a year).
Friday 22 April 2011 9.57am
Speaking of bedbugs, does anyone have any experience with getting rid of the buggers? Or with any local exterminators?
Friday 22 April 2011 10.29pm
Hiya, I have to say I have never had a problem with moths in the seven or eight years I've lived in/around SE1, but this year they seem to be EVERYWHERE. I wonder if it is just a particular blight this spring?
Saturday 23 April 2011 8.26am
I spotted another one last night coming home sitting(?) on the wall of the shared stairwell to my flat. He's dead now.
Saturday 23 April 2011 10.19pm
Trouble is, I think, that the moths themselves don't eat your cashmere - they lay eggs which hatch out and the grubs do the damage. I was infested - no make that my house was infested with them some years ago, when they ate the carpet (not all f it, just bits) and after trying several proprietary brands of moth exterminator had finally to call in professional help which cured the problem. They said one of the best ways to keep them at bay was to vacuum thoroughly, especially round the edges of carpets and in corners etc.
Sunday 24 April 2011 12.09am
go to the Tool shop in Lower Marsh. The have these strips which attract the moths and then catch them them like the old fly papers. The good news, they work, the bad news I have had a lot of moths whose larvae are munching my clothes.

It is a war of attrition

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: