Flour Power City Bakery

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 April 2011 9.30am
Imagine my surprise when the price of my favourite wholemeal bloomer from this baker at Borough Market rose from 2.50p a few weeks ago to 3.00. Last Saturday, it had risen again to 3.80p and seems also to have shrunk.
When I questioned this hike, I was told that the price had not changed for 4 years. A "truth economy" if ever I've heard one.
I just phoned them and was told that they have a new boss who had decided to raise the prices. I asked if business was good as there now seems to be a lot more bread left over than there used to be and was told that it's better than ever. I'm baffled, but sadly won't be buying at these prices
Thursday 21 April 2011 10.29am
Do they still sell things cheaper at the end of the market day?
Thursday 21 April 2011 10.59am
But bread would be a bit hard at the end of the day Tia..suitable for bread pudding I suppose lol..

JayBee your right thats a heck of a jump, where is it baked? timbuctoo!
Thursday 21 April 2011 11.10am
Some stalls do sell things cheaper, others don't.
Flour Power is based in Hoxton.
Thursday 21 April 2011 4.52pm
st john bread and wine sell a whole meal sour dough for 4. Its just gone a bit crazy lately but i have no idea if people always buy 4 loafs
Saturday 23 April 2011 8.52am
seems over the top. The price of wheat has gone up recently though.
Monday 25 April 2011 8.26pm
The FPCB wholemeal bloomer is my favourite too, but I have to agree the price is eyewatering so I generally settle for supermarket in-store baked stuff now.

(Another minor unwelcome change is that FPCB have started wrapping the bread in much less durable brown paper bags - which usually tear in the shopping bag before you even get the loaf home.)

It's noticeable that if ever you talk to the staff (pleasant folk for the most part), they never have a good word to say about the bosses. I think that doesn't bode well for the business, sadly.
Tuesday 26 April 2011 9.15am
They have a stall at Bermondsey Farmers Market each Saturday and I was shocked at the price of their Spelt loaf 2 weeks ago - over 4 and I'm sure it wasn't that price before. Also, they have seem to have less stock on their stall than previously.

I bought some Hot Cross buns from their stall at the Real Food festival at Southbank in early April and they were lovely but the ones I bought at Bermondsey Farmers Market a week later were quite different - lot of fruit but no discernible spice taste. Different texture too.
Tuesday 26 April 2011 2.38pm
How can you justify 4.00 for a loaf? Obviously there are people who buy it so....

I can't even justify 2.80
Tuesday 26 April 2011 6.43pm
Last week, I was going to buy a loaf and when I saw the price, I went to Neal's yard to buy some Poilane bread. I used to buy their irish soda bread regularly and it is now 4! I believe it is too expensive and I do not like to be taken for a ride

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: