Southwark bed bug cases up 72% in just a year

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 22 April 2011 10.30am
This was recently reported by the BBC after an freedom of information request was sent out to London borough councils. Southwark had the highest increase in cases in just one year. Has anyone been affected by these miserable little blighters? I'm writing an article on it at the moment and would like to hear your stories, please get in touch. Many thanks.
Friday 22 April 2011 11.58am
Yup! I had my flat let out for a year whilst away travelling. On our return, I found that I was getting bitten nightly. So annoying, even worse is that my partner isn't affected by them at all! Don't I sound horrid...

Anyone got any experience with getting rid of them?? I see that Southwark council have a pest control service that will apparently deal with the problem for from 124 for up to 4 rooms. Would be great to hear any feedback if anyone has used the service.
Friday 22 April 2011 12.41pm
It's a bit of a pandemic at the moment, apparently they found loads of the little buggers in the empire state building last year. Ceirios, I'd love to talk to you about it, would you mind? I've sent you a private message. Cheers.

As for the council I'll let you know on Tuesday. From what I gather the service is good and includes a pre visit, a fumigation and a post visit. They sub contracted the work out to private companies until 2 years ago to save money I think.
Friday 22 April 2011 5.01pm
1 Look out for little blood spots on your sheets
2 get the pest control involved early.
3 Time for a clear out anyway
- label stuff 'BUGS' in big letters
4 tell your neighbours - chances are they knew already(!)
3 Southwark's team were fantastic
4 Put 'must keep' stuff in freezer for 48 hours.
4 get a Dyson, use it loads, empty frequently.
Maybe stand your bed in tins full of water if desperate
Lino in bedrooms is quite trendy these days...
I'll post some links when I find them.
Friday 22 April 2011 5.25pm
Also look for spots in the cracks and crevices of bedheads and walls. They gorge themselves on blood to such an extent that some of the blood is squeezed out of them as they crawl back from where they came. Lovely.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: