Anyone else fed up with all the litter?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 24 April 2011 4.40pm
Is it just me, or is anyone else fed up with all the litter around Borough? The residential street are particularly grotty. It has become noticeably worse over the last few weeks since street cleaning services have been cut. Busy streets such as Long Lane (which has Tescos and several horrible fast food shops) seem to be being swept every other day. More bins are over flowing. It's a shame there are so many scuzz buckets around that chuck their cigarette buts on the ground and leave cups and crisp packets under bus stop seats. There's not much point in moaning about the council as they have made their cuts, and are unlikely to reverse them now. I take a bag out with me and pick up litter around the residential streets near me from time to time. Is anyone else as fed up as I am to want to organise some kind of clean up on a semi regular basis? It seems better than just complaining about it. I'd be happy to give up an hour on a Sunday but would feel a little less bleak about it if some others felt motivated to join me. :)
Sunday 24 April 2011 5.45pm
It's getting worse yes, though in part I guess a seasonal thing: good weather = more people out and about = more to dispose of, whether it lands in bins or not.

But except for now and again outside my own front door, I won't be joining any "big society" type litter initiative that masks the scale of the problem and might simply encourage the council to cut further. Street sweeping and bin emptying are in my view basic services that I already pay for.
Sunday 24 April 2011 5.56pm
I agree with some of what you are saying, and obviously we do pay for these services. However, I do think London as a whole lacks any sense of community spirit. It's always someone elses job. We'll have to agree to disagree.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: