Station clock

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 27 April 2011 7.46pm
Hello all

A short introduction as this is my first post: I'm Dutch and over the past 25 years I have been visiting the UK on a regular basis. Generally arriving at Waterloo by Eurostar and spending most of my time at the NFT I feel 'attracted' to this area.
Delighted to find this forum to read about SE1 daily life was something I missed in those years.

Back to the subject: for quite a few years I had the desire to get one of those 'old' station clocks. Not original, those are very expensive. I was looking for a large repro clock.

I managed to find one online at Amazon, made by Thomas Cook, listed aa a 50cm Victoria Station clock.
The problem with these large items is shipping the item to NL; its too fragile with all that glass and its quite large. Two other online stores have similar problems with shipping.

The alternative is that I carry one home with me the next time I'm in London.
I took a whole afternoon browsing stores at Oxford Street but to no avail. They mostly sell Newgate clocks.

The obvious next step is to call on local knowledge: does anyone reading here knows of a shop somewhere in London where I can purchase one of these clocks?

One of the online shops describes it as:
"20" Victoria Station clock in a cream colour, Part of the Thomas Kent clock collection

I'd be most grateful.

Peter
Thursday 28 April 2011 8.40am
Wrong make of clock, James. Just googled Thos Cook and at 2,250 they certainly aint cheap!
Thursday 28 April 2011 10.22am
If it has to be this particular clock the only suggestion I can make would be a trip out to Aylesbury where the Amazon seller is based.

However, it's an hour's journey each way between Marylebone and Aylesbury and would cost around 18 for a day return.

TMJ
Thursday 28 April 2011 10.43am
Tolstoy wrote:
Wrong make of clock, James. Just googled Thos Cook and at 2,250 they certainly aint cheap!

HI, thanks for the reply, this is slightly more than offered elsewhere: I think we are talking about something else here :) I found them listed at about 100-120.
I have been to John Lewis on Oxford Street but they sell Newgate clocks. Those are a lot smaller too.

Peter
Thursday 28 April 2011 10.57am
TiaMariaJim wrote:
If it has to be this particular clock the only suggestion I can make would be a trip out to Aylesbury where the Amazon seller is based.

Thanks for the replies, all. If all else fails that might be the best option. At least it is relatively close to London.

TiaMariaJim wrote:
However, it's an hour's journey each way between Marylebone and Aylesbury and would cost around 18

Well, given what I spend on an average weekend break in London this is by no means a problem. Also, I'll save that on shipping the clock itself.

Aylesbury may even have some interesting things for Joe Tourist to see, which might make it a grand day out.

Peter
Thursday 28 April 2011 12.54pm
TheElk wrote:
TiaMariaJim wrote:

Thanks for the replies, all. If all else fails that might be the best option. At least it is relatively close to London.

TiaMariaJim wrote:
However, it's an hour's journey each way between Marylebone and Aylesbury and would cost around 18

Well, given what I spend on an average weekend break in London this is by no means a problem. Also, I'll save that on shipping the clock itself.

Aylesbury may even have some interesting things for Joe Tourist to see, which might make it a grand day out.

Peter

When you are next here, if you decide to do this don't forget to phone them first to make sure they have any in stock.
Thursday 28 April 2011 3.25pm
TiaMariaJim wrote:
make sure they have any in stock.

I most certainly will. :) I checked Google Earth and noticed Aylesbury is mainly a residential area and not really a tourist hotspot

Right now the only online store that has one in stock is located in Ireland.

Peter

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: