Warning! Oyster top-up

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 30 April 2011 8.30am
Macines at London Bridge are taking your money, from card and cash, clearly stating your card is topped up, then not having the money on them at the barriers. Staff are pretending to be surprised. I've watched the same member of staff doing it with different passengers. I keep hearing the same complaint from passengers. Unfortunately, rather than put a notice on the machines to say always press for a receipt, supervisors have decided to tell staff to lie and say it doesn't happen.
Saturday 30 April 2011 3.18pm
Thanks Beetroot
About two year ago my bank account was defrauded of 60---from a London bridge tube/oyster machine.
The bank though their 'fraud' insurance paid it me back. Oyster card refused to speak to me on the phone about it and said it was between them and the bank and nothing to do with me! I did get the 60 back as I said, but not from them!
Sunday 1 May 2011 10.34am
Those machines are very suspicious. I and others whom I've seen have tried to use credit cards which the machines state can't be read. When reported to the booking clerks, they feign ignorance while processing the same card perfectly well.
Tuesday 3 May 2011 11.04am
If you call the customer services number make sure you go to customer services rather than oyster as they will just tell you (probably a bit aggressively) that it's nothing to do with them.
They are apparently in the process of finding out if any of the machines are up by the amount I put on. I pointed out at least one will be up by a lot more than that since it's doing to lots of people.

When I topped up at the counter the other day a woman was next to me telling the staff she had just topped up 30 but now it's not on her card. She had paid with her bank card and she even went and checked her balance and it had gone from her account. The staff were very surprised because it never happens. I told her it was happening a lot and the staff knew, at which point they became silent and moody. Caught out lying.
It's quite sad really. Apart from the odd exception, I've always found Underground staff to be good (overground are often repulsive).
Tuesday 3 May 2011 11.17am
I think that so often Oyster just get away with it, because many people don't notice that money goes out of their account-unless you are like me-a poorhouse who has to watch evey penny.
In my case I topped up 10 had the receipt etc/it topped up, but Oyster took 70 from my account-so defrauding me of 60. As I said, this became a 'fraud' case as far as my bank were concerned. It was actually Oyster who refused to speak to me, not customer services, as the bank had paid me back 60.00 . Now whether the bank got that money from Oyster--did anything about the fraud who knows. I in general find London Underground staff and the bus staff very helpful ( with the exception of one 21 bus driver who drives past me on purpose-laughing) I have found though Customer Service/Oyster quite disgraceful. I would suggest if money is taken from your account and the card is not topped up-to report it to the bank as a fraud. A Pain-I know.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: