Rarely seen feature film set in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 1 May 2011 9.05am
Just wanted to let you know that 'The Happy Family', a feature film made in 1951, is showing at BFI Southbank on Tues 3 May at 6pm. I can't remember the last time that the film was shown, and it's not available on DVD, however it's one of the best feature films about life in SE1 that I have seen. Film tells the story of the family who run a corner shop that's about to be demolished due to the development of the Festival of Britain site on the South Bank. From memory, it feels a bit like an Ealing comedy and has a great cast of British character actors. They're also showing a short with it called 'Brief City' that's about the Festival of Britain.

The Happy Family at BFI Southbank
Sunday 1 May 2011 8.45pm
Its been years since I saw that film, I was watching "Night in the city" on Friday, some scenes at the end were filmed around there before it was built on.
Tuesday 3 May 2011 7.35am
Thanks for this! It's years since I've seen it, but I remember it being a great film about community spirit (a bit like PASSPORT TO PIMLICO). It's also surprising that it was an anti-Festival of Britain film showing that not all local people were enthusiastic about the event given the impact it had on the community.
Tuesday 3 May 2011 9.07am
Lovely film. I remember seeing it on tv back in the early 1970's. It brought back many pleasant memories of the area for me, having been taken to the Festival of Britain when it opened in May, 1951, when I was four years old. I surprise myself in how much I actually remember about it. I've always had a soft spot for the South Bank. After the Festival was demolished a play area was built close to where the Jubilee Gardens are now situated and I spent many summer Sundays there as a kid.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: