Mass shooting at City Hall on Tuesday, bring tripod

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 1 May 2011 11.41am
'The man who used a tripod at More London', apologies to Bateman:

Photographers may be interested in this - Mass shooting at CityHall or this (relevant gallery is now here)
Sunday 1 May 2011 12.23pm
Thanks for heads up. I'll be attending this.
Sunday 1 May 2011 12.59pm
I'm confused now.

Either the Thames Path past City Hall is a private space, in which case the owners can approve or ban nearly anything they want, in which case, why are public resources (aka the 'brave boys in blue') being used to enforce the landowner's preferences?

Or, this is a public space, in which case it's not within the rights of the landowners to ban photography. I presume, in this case, the police are there to enable the photographers to carry out their lawful activity.

Presuming it's the first one, I wonder if we could have one here to stop people from sitting on and littering our front doorstep. Thought not.

I don't own a tripod, or camera, but all power to your f-stop on this, Mark.
Sunday 1 May 2011 1.59pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
I'm confused now.

My fault; the photo is actually of police surrounding anarchists on the evening of Boris's election. I couldn't resist the Bateman joke.
Monday 2 May 2011 7.14pm
Rambling Phil - the More London Estate employ their own security guards who are extremely zealous about enforcing restrictions on photography

See http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4960 for a report on a London Assembly committee hearing which heard evidence on this matter.

I remember that at this City Hall-organised photo opportunity the More London management people insisted that photographers should not use the office buildings as the backdrop for their pictures.

Naturally all the snappers present insisted on doing the opposite.

I also recall these clowns being given a hard time by More London security.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 2 May 2011 10.41pm
Thanks for the links, James.

It looks like nationalisation (preferably by the Nasser option) might be the best course of action to defend our rights against these enclosures of public space. I wonder if any of the mayoral candidates might want to propose that.
Tuesday 3 May 2011 1.47pm
A good-humoured mob of 200,000 photographers (estimated) besieged City Hall this afternoon:

I gather that this chap is their leader, tho the over-casually dressed fellow behind may be a police spy:

Oh dear, I find I agree with the prohibitions on this list apart from nudity and photography:

Nice bokeh, eh?

Tuesday 3 May 2011 4.08pm
Well done for getting a rare photo of our very own James on the forum ;)
Tuesday 3 May 2011 6.45pm
Its a little ironic 'photography' is spelt wrong on that sign.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: