Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 40
Richard Stompidou Saturday 7 May 2011 2.48pm
It seems that several stallholders at Borough Market who have also started trading at Maltby Street or Southbank have been peremptorily told that they've forfeited their BM pitches and must leave immediately. No choice, no negotiation. So today is their last trading day. One of my favourite stalls, Mons the French cheese place, is among them - there are about half a dozen others.

This is not only a shabby and vindictive way to treat the stallholders who made BM a success. It's also a stupid commercial decision, and a very silly way of responding to competition. It makes you wonder whether the BM management have a clue about running a business. Or whether they care about selling quality food. Or whether they know what their customers might want. Or what the hell their vision for the place is.

Keith McIntosh Saturday 7 May 2011 3.21pm
I was annoyed to find out that KAPPACASEIN
the cheese sandwich stall has been asked to leave Borough Market along with six other stalls. Some have been asked to leave at very short notice .

I don't know the ins and outs but it feels as if Borough Market management is intensely political

Kappa is moving to Bermondsey and i will post the new address when it appears on their website .
jackie rokotnitz Saturday 7 May 2011 4.57pm
How very stupid and spiteful...why does BM feel that it has to be SO exclusive that none of their traders can operate elsewhere? Sounds like the beginning of a police state to me.
beetroot Saturday 7 May 2011 5.08pm
I've been eating Kappacasein sandwiches since he first appeared with a littel cart outside Neal's Yard Cheese on Park Street. It's one of the most popular stalls. What's BM's reason?
Stewie Griffin Saturday 7 May 2011 11.01pm
There are questions raised here regarding restriction of trade and trying to create a monopoly. By doing what they are doing, BM are restricting our choice on where to shop and traders choice on where to sell. I suspect the other traders at the market will now fall into line and not trade elsewhere, thus leaving themselves at the mercy of the mercurial BM management, where a wrong word can see them kicked out. Traders and customers alike, if you disagree with what is happening, vote with your feet.
orione Sunday 8 May 2011 7.22am
What about Neil's yard and Monmouth . They have stalls elsewhere (maltby street in fact)
but they haven't been evicted. There must be more.
jackie rokotnitz Sunday 8 May 2011 7.44am
I hope the BM traders will strike en masse and give the bloody dictators a shaking up.,
Eileen Sunday 8 May 2011 9.21am
orione wrote:
What about Neil's yard and Monmouth . They have stalls elsewhere (maltby street in fact)
but they haven't been evicted.

Perhaps it is because they have shops and have signed a lease and the stall holders are on a short notice contract.
orione Sunday 8 May 2011 10.09am
I suspect that the task BM management is facing is not easy. Super central area means high costs and masses of tourists. So how you mix this with local populations needs? I thought in fact that sandwiches and smoothies were a big down for the Market. This is cheap food that everybody can do at home and you don't need BM for preparing panini. No way. But tourists want only that and a pic to take home. Surprisingly also locals and people who work around favour sandwhiches.. This complicated the issue.

In my view is almost impossible to shop if I have to swim across hundreds of people waiting for panini.... I give up.

One good thing would be to serve panini only after noon so people who seriously like good food have time for shopping. And probably they should extend their times. Through the week.

Last week I read that BM was elected the best place in London for sandwiches.. Hence take away food!! Not a great achievement.

Also I have it not clear what is going to happen with the new space that will be available once the railroad bridge is completed. That will be a big new space.

I hope the management will find good solutions. Everybody around wants to be the great alternative to BM. Surely not southbank one! Maltby street is valid if it keeps it's low profile. But BM is the most romantic and suggestive place to shop in London I hope the managers have teeth to bite the bread they were given! And we can all benefit for this treasure.
jonnyp42 Sunday 8 May 2011 11.17am
I guess it is possible for BM to insert a restraint of trade condition into the agreements it has with stall holders but I would personally say that it would be at odds with their espoused values.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 40

This thread has been closed

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions