Old Photos - History Pin Map

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 13 May 2011 10.30am
I found this website http://www.historypin.com/via a friends facebook page.

There are a few lovely old photos of SE1 (although it took a while to load them.)

It looks like you can also add your own to build up the map.

It also links the location to the present day google street view!
Friday 13 May 2011 11.57am
Smashing photos, Shoggy. Lovely to see so many people accross the generations having such a great time.
I am a bit baffled though. I remember the Coronation in June 1953 very clearly and the Silver Jubilee in 1977 even clearer. On both occasions it chucked it down with rain. Because of that, our Coronation party, which should have been outdoors in Tarver Road, was transferred to the top room of the 'Rose' pub in Manor Place and on Jubilee day we had the row of trestle tables under tarpaulins, which, on more than one occasion, threatened to blow away. I know the memory can play tricks, but I was surprised to see so many people in summer dresses in those pics under what appeared to be cloudless skies.
Friday 13 May 2011 2.01pm
it's a good website isn't it!

Well remembered on the Coronation and Jubilee.

Just had a look at the photos and they are great but like you said it doesn't look very rainy at all!

I found several buildings I never even knew about as they have been replaced by modern blocks. The Rotherhithe Hippodrome and the Royal Eye Hospital etc ....I can imagine spending hours.

Hopefully more people will add their photos and stories!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: