Restaurants quality and take-away food

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 17 May 2011 4.06pm
Dear Forum,

what do you think about restaurants doing take away food to maximize thier revenues. It is a common style that I have seen mostly in this country (maybe USA?) and it puzzles me a lot for a reason:

Most restaurants after they start doing take away face a shortage in the kitchen capacity and all at once they become unable to serve properly the customers who paid for eating at their table. The staff get overwhelmed and stressed, and often the whole eating out experience end up in a disaster. (Feng Sushi at BM I believe is the Icon of this style, the staff there seems like they are going for a kill everytime; but so many others do that)..

Some people often complain that the take away food does not reach their home quick enough or is cold...and so on...

We are in the middle of the fork sometimes we are customers at home sometimes we are customers in the restaurants..

Do you think we should make a difference by trying to cook at home more often or order from those who do only take away? Like LUPA, or similar places? Unless this places adjust their kitchen and staff accordingly?
Wednesday 18 May 2011 9.17am
Well I'd always suggest cooking more at home. It's much cheaper on the whole and if you can muster the enthusiasm it's rewarding and tastes often fantastic.

Otherwise I would tend to use takeout places for takeout as appropriate.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 1.14pm
Depends on the the type restaurant of course, but if I am eating in I would like to know that the staff are concentrating on me...and not on lots of take out orders. Its a totally different approach.
Wednesday 8 June 2011 12.28am
I have not had a takeaway for about 3 years.
Can't really understand the reason people do. If I am home alone and hungry - 10 minutes to do a chorizo omelette / scrambled eggs / salad. 20 mins to make hamburgers or pasta or heat a pizza. tonight I did chilli burgers - (sainsbury organic lean mince, chopped red onion, handful of sun dried tomatoes, half a chopped chilli) with fried mushrooms and a rocket and yellow pepper salad. Got 4 extra burgers from the 500g which can be microwaved hot in the next day or so.

I had fried fillet of salmon and stir fried asparagus for lunch - 15 minutes. If I was being fancy I would have coated the salmon in flour mixed with Chinese 5 Spice. Say 16 minutes. What takeaway would have me sorted in less than 30 mins?

If I am going to pay for someone else to make food, I want to sit in their premises, meet friends and really chill out. And have them cope with

I'm rambling, i'm tired, sounds like I am complaining about 'the youth of the nation' who have more money than sense. Oh wait, I am !
Wednesday 8 June 2011 8.38am
some people just don't like cooking, personally i don't like DIY and would happily pay money to have something fixed than learn myself, horses for courses (main course that is)

is it only young people (under 25) that have take aways? this bit of news clearly passed me by
Wednesday 8 June 2011 11.03am
I order pizza take away from someone like Lupa because for great pizza you need a wood burning oven or other such piece of equipment that can get to 500 degrees. Sadly my ikea combi oven doesn't quite get there

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: