Bogus charity collector - river walkway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Saturday 1 May 2004 6.44pm
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else had come across a guy collecting for charity on the Queens walk (river walk)

He has been around for several weeks now, mainly on Saturdays, and he is always outside Price Waterhouse Coopers by the fountain.

At first I though he was genuine.
He certainly looks the part, but as time wore on I realised his patter changes and the charity event he is collecting for is always tomorrow or this weekend.

He pretends to be from Guys and St Thomas's and I have heard him saying they are doing a charity walk, a dance and a fancy dress thing with male nurses dressed up as women.

The final straw was seeing him last night at 11pm!
He tried it on again with me and him indoors (he must have a bad memory) and now I wonder if anyone can tell me how to report him to the relevent people.

He is average height, pretty thin with dark slicked back hairaand bad skin. He always wears a navy blue fleece with some logo on it.
and carries a clipboard and pen

So if anyone else has sussed him or given him money i'd love to hear thier feedback.

thanks

Jo.
sue
Saturday 1 May 2004 8.16pm
We've seen him a couple of times round Shad Thames & when he asked us again we said we have already give to you.......I don't think he has counted on the fact that there are people who live round here who remember him........
Sunday 2 May 2004 10.11am
no, he obviously hasn't!

Jo
Monday 3 May 2004 2.53pm
You could contact Guys & St Thomas Charitable Trust to make sure they're not legitimate.

Charlotte Langley
Joint Director of Fundraising for Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital NHS Trust and Guy's and St Thomas' Charitable Foundation
First Floor, West Wing, Counting House,
Guy's Hospital, St Thomas' Street
London SE1 9RT

(that's the longest address i've ever seen)

Tel: 020 7188 7711

Then I suppose if you're sure they're fake then it's a police matter.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 9.05am
When I lived in Manchester, there was a scam artist who worked a patch near the GMex. His "performance" went along the lines of him running up, breathless and car keys in hand. Police had just towed his car and he wanted a couple of quid to taxi over to the pound. He was always quite smart, certainly not scruffy and always looked the part.

However, after falling once for this, he made the greedy mistake of repeating the same routine on me about a week later. The second timeI asked him what type of car did he have. He stammered that he couldn't remember. Doh ! Clearly, a scam.

After that, every time I saw him and he was repeating his sob story, I would go out of my way to tell the unfortunate souls he was scamming not to believe his tall tales. Just made me feel stupid that I had fallen for the trick.

I was interested to read on the tube yesterday, that 85% of all money given to beggars in Lambeth goes to local drug dealers.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 1.18pm
One day last week a 12ish year old girl knocked on my door, asking me to sponsor her for 'football' for some youth club.

I asked her whether it was a charity, and when she said yes, pledged her some sovereigns. When I was a child, at that point we used to say 'thank you', and then go and knock 100 balls into a net, and then go back to collect the money.

Oh no! Instead she said 'aren't you giving me the money?'

Now it looks like a splendid opportunity for a money-grabbing urchin to make a few shillings, irrespective of any youth club.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 1.36pm
I thought they were only allowed to ask people they knew for sponsorship money (though I don't imagine it's an actual law). In my day we'd be happy with a clip round the ear.....

"I knew I was cured"
Tuesday 4 May 2004 2.31pm
Biro -
I'm certain you are correct. It is soliciting, isn't it ? Similarly to the restrictions on holding a charity "tin". I'm thinking that the child's parents need a damn kick up the ass, for letting the kid go knocking on strange peoples' houses.

[no offence meant !]
Monday 10 May 2004 11.50am
Jo, I have spoken to the man you mention from Guy's. He told me he was collecting for a 24hr tennis match that was taking place on 23 March at the court just by Kipling Street. He did seem dodgy but the amount of information he gave added to his credibility. Didn't get chance to go down and see if the game happened though...
Wednesday 12 May 2004 6.28pm
Well I've never heard the tennis match one,
but i have heard of the fun run with male nurses dressed as women and a sponsored bike ride.
I guess he should have stuck to the one theme!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: