Union Street/Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Wednesday 18 May 2011 7.34pm
Does anyone know if the bike lane will be fully restored on Flat Iron Square? It doesn't look like it at the moment, and it's a bit daft to have one part missing off an almost complete bike lane.

I haven't been impressed with the works as no access was maintained for cyclists, with the pedestrian walkway so narrow you couldn't push a bike down it. I had to go down America Road and cut across SBR, which was positively dangerous.

Related news & features

Wednesday 18 May 2011 8.46pm
That bit of bike lane running in front of the shops was dodgy anyway, I never felt comfortable cycling there as it always felt like a pavement. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed it, and it will be much safer for people exiting and entering the shops as well.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 9.42pm
I was thinking about this only this afternoon. It doesn't look like the bike lane can work there now. It could have been good if the bike lane was road level through the 'square' with drops for pram/wheelchairs.
Maybe they'll make the remaining road two-way for cyclists.
Thursday 19 May 2011 12.06pm
Given the amount of time it's taken to do the works (so far) and the quality of materials used (the paving slabs are *massive*), and thus the inevitable expense that's gone into the square, I feel the designers have taken their cue a little too much from the 'Flat' part of the square's name. From my (VFM based) point of view it either ought to look a lot more 'interesting'. Either that or (layman builder that I am) surely cheaper materials/techniques could have been used to similar effect?
Thursday 19 May 2011 5.54pm
Yes, although the layout intrigued me initially I'm a little disappointed by the, as you say, 'flatness' of the whole design. I appreciate the flower beds got some abuse but as a detail they added character, maybe planters are due? I'll reserve final judgement until its finished.
Saturday 21 May 2011 1.23pm
It looks like its nearly finished. The proposal for the urban forest shows ayes street to great guilford street will be a shared pedestrian/cycleway. Seems much better. And hopefully the other changes to the square will dissuade the intolerable street drinking. Now we just have to hope that The Island Cafe is smartened up and a decent breakfast can be had!
Saturday 21 May 2011 2.56pm
Yes, the Island Cafe could be such a nice place and though I'm partial to the odd fry up in there, there coffee and tea are frankly undrinkable? How can you get a cup of tea wrong?!
Saturday 21 May 2011 3.19pm
Haven't been to the Island Cafe for ages, but that place has massive potential.
Saturday 21 May 2011 3.39pm
'their'. Can't let that pass without correction.
Monday 23 May 2011 10.45am
Drivers who use Ayres St have right of way into Union St which is mad. Drivers coming into Union St past the Island Cafe alongisde the new Flatiron Sq need to give way and dont.

Cyclists are at real risk here as there is nothing indicating to them that they should give way. Perhaps this is a wicked plot by the designers to kill off cyclists using unwary motorists coming up Ayres St.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: