Union Street/Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8
Tolstoy Tuesday 31 May 2011 12.42pm
The three vehicles I saw this morning were crossing from the opposite section of Union St and then gingerly manoeuvring past one of the installed wooden posts (bets on how long before it ends up being damaged).
eDWaRD WooDWaRD Tuesday 31 May 2011 12.43pm
Tolstoy wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42391835@N00/sets/72157626724304665/
It occurs to me that perhaps they are channeling the word 'flat' here. Whilst taking these pics two vans and a cab 'negotiated' the features, so it appears to be a free for all at the mo'.

Koh Samui Cafe? Hadn't noticed that before... Since when has that been there?
Tolstoy Tuesday 31 May 2011 12.45pm
Yes, I was going to comment on that as well, appears to have opened up just last week.
Eileen Tuesday 31 May 2011 5.49pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

The guy in the newsagents said one half is a Thai restaurant and the other a cafe. As Tolstoy said, it opened last week.
jaycee Tuesday 31 May 2011 7.57pm
I think this Thai restuarant used to be the much missed (at least by me) La Palma Cafe
exigo Tuesday 31 May 2011 8.00pm
Tolstoy wrote:
The three vehicles I saw this morning were crossing from the opposite section of Union St and then gingerly manoeuvring past one of the installed wooden posts (bets on how long before it ends up being damaged).

May explain the red roadwork barriers hastily arranged at each end of the square this evening.
eDWaRD WooDWaRD Tuesday 31 May 2011 8.04pm
I am starting to wonder if ANYONE knows who is allowed to use the square...
Zoe Tuesday 31 May 2011 8.47pm
I looked at the design on the way home. The lowered pavement (from SBR side) is for access to the courtyard on the right. However, the pavement is raised after that and a different design which (I think) is meant to be the pedestrianised area.

I think a sign might be in order.
Boroman Wednesday 1 June 2011 12.59am
Eileen wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

The guy in the newsagents said one half is a Thai restaurant and the other a cafe. As Tolstoy said, it opened last week.

Isn't this just the old caff that closed in the last year or so and has reopened under new ownership, plus the terrace seating now made possible by the square revamp? I didn't notice the sitdown part had become Thai, which will be fairly direct lunchtime competition with the pub, whose cuisine that also is.

I was in the new place this lunchtime for a takeaway sandwich: good granary bread and friendly staff, though the choice of fillings (as well as cake etc) could do with being widened at least to the range offered by those little Borough High Street Italian outlets. That might also prompt the rather complacent Island Cafe into upping its effort.
Guy's street Wednesday 1 June 2011 1.24pm
Proble with whacking signs everywhere is it starts to make the area look very untidy. There are far too many signs on the roads, pavements etc as it is.

Get rid of the clutter, with as few, clear markings as possible.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8

Related news & features

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions