Failure of the Thames Path cycling experiment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 18 May 2011 11.16pm
A few months ago after attempting to ban cycling on the Thames Path adjacent to Lambeth Palace Road, Lambeth Council introduced a new policy. This was epitomised in a series of new signs declaring pedestrians have priority and that "considerate" cycling was welcomed. I didn't think it was going to work at the time but kept my counsel for a decent period before reporting back on here. It hasn't and it's been a complete failure because the majority of the cyclists that use that stretch of walkway are behaving like lunatics. Sorry Lambeth Council - nice try but it's time for a full ban in the name of public health and safety.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 11.25pm
Give it a rest.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 11.46pm
I have given it a rest for months. But after seeing a series of incidents over the last few days it's time to say enough is enough. Lambeth Council please ban cycling on the Thames Path in the name of public health and safety. Thanks!
Thursday 19 May 2011 12.27am
I have to confess, nothing annoys me more than coming face to face with a cyclist who has failed to dismount at various pinch points along the Thames Walk path.

I also have a particular dislike to those that seem to think they can come up behind you and ding their bell.. it's a pavement.. walk or wait!
Thursday 19 May 2011 1.39am
Tim - if you really want to influence Lambeth's policy then you have to contact the appropriate people there rather than start a discussion about it here. For whatever reason, discussions about cycling always seem to descend into bickering in this forum. No idea why, I remember being warned off discussing sex, religion or politics but my parents failed to teach me that online discussions about cycling were even more treacherous! Another thread about it is most unlikely to achieve anything useful.
Thursday 19 May 2011 7.46am
And since all 76 of your previous posts have been about the same subject I suggest we get the point here, as Neil says Lambeth are the guys to speak to. It really is a pointless exercise bringing it up here.
Thursday 19 May 2011 9.05am
I doubt it is worth starting a new thread over this, but does anyone knowif More London have slackened their no-cycling rules? Over the last few days I have seen more and more cyclists there, admittedly mainly tourtists on Boris Bikes, but still.
Thursday 19 May 2011 9.12am
Well of course I disagree with most of the posts that have appeared on here! Apparently we have a few self-appointed editors of this forum which rather misses the point - and in any case I think it's perfectly valid to point out that the experiment (as I knew it would) has failed.

This issue does, however, I agree tend to ruffle the sort of people that get upset when there's a micro-change to the Radio 4 schedule. It's as if it's some sort of holy grail - all hail to the Great God Bicycle. Well sorry but when a very large number of cyclists are ruining a perfectly nice part of London for everyone else then someone has to say something!

I'll take up the suggestion of writing to Lambeth (I think it's the parks department) and also the local councillors. Progress will be posted here.
Thursday 19 May 2011 9.23am
Is there any chance of some videos, Tim?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 19 May 2011 11.18am
Quote:
Is there any chance of some videos, Tim?

Tim's best video so far

I agree with Ivanhoe.I'd like to see some more videos.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: