What has happened to the Waterloo Millennium Green Waterfall and stream

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 May 2011 1.53pm
For months the waterfall and stream in the Millennium green has been out of action. Why haven't the contractors who installed it been unable to rectify any damage?
Supposedly or allegedly, Lambeth council (surprise surprise) damaged the water supply.
I went to see someone who at Waterloo Action Centre today and she said she would fill the pond up with water next week! I said it would be too late as half the plants are already dead, and as for the creatures that live there... Apathy.
More recently (Bankside Open spaces) BOST has taken on new responsibility for Waterloo Millennium Green in North Lambeth.
They had better get something sorted out soon. All that money wasted on a local amenity, and they have neglected it.
Thursday 19 May 2011 8.39pm
Thank you for your email about this to which we have given a longer response. For those who would like a synopsis, we have topped up the water in the pond, which is very overgrown. We are planning a workday to clear the pond up in two weeks, and would welcome extra volunteer support in this. Finally, we need support in fundraising to repair the pump which powers the flow down the steps. We are also pursuing the damage we believe was caused by contractors outside, but this is a minor issue alongside the others.
Zoe
Friday 20 May 2011 6.31am
Hi Justin,

What are the details of the workday, and how much is needed for the repair, are you planning some local fund raising?
Friday 20 May 2011 6.33am
Hi Zoe

Thanks for the interest. I'll pass on your query to the BOST staff member who is working on the MG.

Justin
Wednesday 25 May 2011 2.26pm
Thanks Zoe Justin and CEED for helping us raise some understanding of this difficult issue in the lovely community run park.

The pond clear out workday at Waterloo Millenium Green will be on Thursday the 2nd June, please contact us direct if you are able to come. info@bost.org.uk OR 020 7403 3393

Please be aware that we will let the water level drop before the workday to facilitate the clear out. Also that the resulting 'haircut' on the pond will take a while to settle back into looking natural.

Local fundraising would be great. At the moment we have been quoted 10,000 to 16,000 for the main repair to get the pump working again - as with many mechanical things, there is a series of operations to be tested and fixed, which is why the cost is so variable . We are seeking a second quote to see if we can bring this down.

It is really helfpul to know that the pond and waterflow matters to local people. This support helps justify the prioritisation of this work. Please let us know if you have any more ideas to help progress the solution.
Saturday 24 March 2012 6.35pm
The Water Feature has been allowed to dry up completely now.
I wonder how this was given permission to be built knowing that there was no funding for maintenance.
I smell something fishy.
It must be all the dead ones in the none existent stream.

It now looks worse than ever. Shame one you BOST.
Another scam-del.
Zoe
Saturday 24 March 2012 7.16pm
I think that's a rather uncalled for attack on BOST, they didn't develop the green so can't answer for the design and it's rather lucky that they picked up the management of it after the demise of Waterloo Green Trust.

I'm sure there are things BOST could do better but it's a volunteer organisation and it's easy to criticise from the sidelines.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but if you aren't happy with the situation get off your bum and volunteer to raise money to put the fountain right. Most of the green spaces in Waterloo/Bankside rely on volunteers and they always need more people and money.
Saturday 24 March 2012 8.01pm
That quote is ridiculous. My son is a gardener, he designs whole gardens for that amount of money, never mind a pump. I would get him to have a look but he has a garden in Chelsea, one in Hampton Court and one in Chaumont, so he is a bit busy.

But someone should check what looks like a scam.
Saturday 24 March 2012 8.03pm
I should have said "design and Build". He always undercharges on design!
Monday 26 March 2012 9.00am
BOST canot rely on volunteers to maintain the Water feature.
Millennium Green is in community management relying greatly on the work of volunteers for maintenance and management. Helen Firminger at BOST wrote to me last year "The team of homeless gardeners who have been carrying out regular volunteering for some years now, unfortunately due to funding cuts at St Mungo's they have now largely withdrawn and we are building up a new team of volunteers to carry out essential work.

Unless BOST have a local volunteer capable of installing and maintaining the water feature, they had better find a contractor who can.
A whole year has gone by with the feature out of action.
Why did BOST take this on if they were unable to maintain the green?
Who was responsible for the damage in the first place. Lambeth Council workers evidently! So good luck to anyone who can get Lambeth Council to act ethically!
I await a reply from Helen Firminger at BOST.....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network