Free tomato plants

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 May 2011 8.20am
Pick up a tomato plant at Trafalgar Square today. The good news is that it is free, the bad news is that you might bump into Boris!
Friday 20 May 2011 8.30am
This must be one heck of a year for tomatoes.
Usually I work on the principle of one third of seeds sewn becoming fruiting plants. (One third failing to germinate and one third scoffed by snails.) I've now had the biggest glut of tomato plants ever. I've given loads away to family, friends and neighbours and kept a dozen for myself, but I've still got another 30 sitting outside my back door. I'm now just going to put them outside my front gate with a sign, 'Help yourself.'
It will be interesting to see what happens to the price of tomatoes this summer in the supermarkets. I guess it will be the same as what happened to petrol prices the other week when the price of oil dropped drastically. It went up!
Zoe
Friday 20 May 2011 9.20am
Can I come get one?
Friday 20 May 2011 9.25am
You can have the lot, Zoe, if you think it's worth the fare to Westcliff-on-Sea. I'm afraid I'm a southeast Londoner in exile.
Friday 20 May 2011 2.51pm
Oh I wish you were closer (or that they'd done the tomato plant promotion on a Saturday)!

Oh well. Time to propogate!
Zoe
Friday 20 May 2011 6.07pm
I'm not sure where West Cliff on Sea is, but I'm thinking I can't there on my bike. My and dronid will have to just buy some!
Friday 20 May 2011 6.26pm
Of course you can get here on your bike, Zoe. It's only 40 miles! (It's near Southend....Too near.)
Zoe
Friday 20 May 2011 7.41pm
Wiki says it's a suburb of Southend! I like the look of nearby Foulness Island.

I could do 40 miles on my bike, but I'd have to stay the weekend to recover and get a pillow to sit on.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: