Parakeet on Marshalsea Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 22 May 2011 6.03pm
Hi
I was wondering if anyone else is being annoyed by the parakeet currently hanging around the Marshalsea Road area? It shrieks pretty much all the time now, usually kicking off at 2 - 3a.m. but going at it all day. I noticed conversations on lost parakeets, but I think this one is wild. I am also concerned that it is driving away blackbirds, starlings and songbirds.
I may as well admit that I would be more than happy to see it, and it's mates, culled unmercifully. I can only imagine the nightmarish noise pollution that would occur if any more of them set up shop here, in fact the constant shrieking may drive me to take action myself. I wondered if the RSPB or any wildlife organisation planned a cull of these birds at any point?
Sunday 22 May 2011 6.29pm
countmagnus wrote:
I am also concerned that it is driving away blackbirds, starlings and songbirds.
No, it won't drive those birds away.
Killing it yourself is illegal.
There are no plans to cull, but it might be worth reporting it to the RSPCA saying it's on it's own. Maybe they'll assume it's a pet and catch it.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 10.42am
I work in SE1 but I live in Reigate where parakeets are quite common. Presumably they are descended from escaped pets, but they live wild quite successfully. There are some areas the take a liking to, and they collect there in flocks in the evenings, squawking in the trees. It's pretty annoying if you live there, but luckily at my house they just fly over.

Perhaps you could take up falconry.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 10.59am
F Y I
Government announces parakeet cull
Posted 3 May 2011
The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) plans to kill the 100-150 monk parakeets who live in the wild in Hertfordshire. Two years ago, Natural England added both the monk parakeet and the ring-necked parakeet to the General Licence, which means the birds can be shot without prior permission being obtained, as long as certain criteria were met. But now Defra plans to eradicate all monk parakeets saying they could pose a danger to crops, electricity pylons and other species. The RSPB backs the cull.

Animal Aid has seen the report on monk parakeets, produced by the GB Non-Native Species Secretariat, which says that the threats posed by the birds are relatively minor.

Monk parakeets were bred or imported for the pet trade and would have endured lives of boredom inside constrictive cages before being released into the wild when they were no longer wanted. Animal Aid encourages tolerance and acceptance of all wild species but - should serious and specific problems arise - campaigns for non-lethal solutions.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 11.39pm
those monk parakets are not the same as the ones that have colonised South west London though, they are a different species.
Thursday 26 May 2011 9.46am
frederick wrote:
Monk parakeets were bred or imported for the pet trade and would have endured lives of boredom inside constrictive cages before being released into the wild when they were no longer wanted
....where we shoot them. What a piece of work is Man! Were I a parakeet, I'd form the 1st Parakeet Regiment and squawk at them and poop on their heads to make them even madder.
Thursday 26 May 2011 6.14pm
Ring-Necked Parakeets have existed in Greenwich and Crystal Palace Parks (and probably many others across Sth. London) for years. They don't have any impact on native species. I agree, they are noisy but so are foxes, traffic, local pubs, drunks and quite a few neighbours! We could take a leaf out of the books of the native birds and live with it!
Thursday 26 May 2011 11.40pm
I agree, Billy P, I'd rather have squawking birds than local drunks effing and blinding at 3 in the morning!
Friday 27 May 2011 8.31am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/13524396

SE1 forum gets there first again.
Friday 27 May 2011 10.45am
Just read the link posted by Tolstoy. Interesting that the RSPB can't find any real evidence that parakeets are a threat to native birds. As for putting a dummy bird near a feeder, I've had feeders for ages and never seen a parakeet! Did get a kestrel/sparrow hawk though, that scared off the small birds for a while!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: