Sainsbury's 'offers' - scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 24 May 2011 7.41pm
This evening I had a familiar problem at Sainsbury's on Borough High Street.

I bought around 25 worth of groceries, including 3 items for 10. But, as has often happened, they charged full price for those 3 items at the till. They offered me a refund, which would have been 2.60. They always do this when I spot the difference.

But I declined, and said they could keep their extra profit.

Anyone else spotted this type of thing at Sainsbury's?
Tuesday 24 May 2011 7.45pm
Last time I frequented the Sainsbury's @ Bermondsey Square I was surprised to find that it was more expensive (duff offers aside) than M&S Simply Food London More and my local Costcutter!
Tuesday 24 May 2011 8.18pm
I do wonder if Sainsbury's Head Office are putting pressure on the stores to price gouge their customers? They may look at an area like SE1 and assume that we are all oblivious to pricing.

I agree that M&S at More London is a good store - and I have never been overcharged there. Maybe it's worth the extra walk there.

As for Tesco - the E&C store is pretty dire and even the newer one at Empire Square has the narrowest aisles and a small fresh food section. But again, I don't feel they are actually advertising 1 price and charging another.
Tuesday 24 May 2011 9.37pm
I posted ages ago on this subject after being countlessley Overcharged at Sainsburys BhS
I try to not use this store, but prob. get overcharged one in three visits. So bout twice this year. This is not the till staff, they just scan-but either advertised offers not being set in the till eg two for one- then they charge both full price or just a completley wrong price. They also put an offer infront of a product it does not represent.But you could be fooled by easily
eg Hardys Chardonay reduced to say 4.99 infront of HardysSemillion Chardonay--then they charge the full price at the till for the later, whilst having non of the former infront of the offer price.
They are not the only ones-I was over charged 26 times in a row--at Tesco near OLd St.
Tuesday 24 May 2011 10.07pm
More than once I've picked something off a shelf at Sainsbury's Bermondsey Sq specifically because it's been marked as a special reduction. Then when I got to the till it went through at the original price. Last time I got the guy to walk back with me to the shelf. He looked at the sign and just said ' well, it's wrong. someone's put the wrong box behind it'. When I said that in that case I'd leave it, he walked away without changing the sign or moving the box. So the same goods were still offered for sale at the wrong price. I called him back but he just shrugged and kept on walking away.
Tuesday 24 May 2011 10.16pm
Interesting to hear this - thanks Kory and Aoibhneas. Like you I think it is more than a coincidence. Amazing being charged 26 times in a row!

Aoibhneas - I totally agree that they like to put huge signs up advertising offers, and behond them they put products that are not included. And, when I point this out they make no attempt to rectify the misleading advertising. It's unethical.

I will upload my picture showing the offer and the product that I was charged extra for.
Tuesday 24 May 2011 11.30pm
I've noticed this sort of thing at Sainsbury's, Tesco and everywhere of their ilk. It's not just when it's not reflected at the till. Sometimes it is and that can be just as surprising. I had a surreal conversation with a supposed manager at Tesco at the Elephant over a 3 for 1.50 offer I didn't know about when i picked up my three items and got stung by the offer at the till. I just couldn't understand the logic of the offer when the said products were 33p each!
Tuesday 24 May 2011 11.38pm
This is the same at Southwark Street M&S. There was an offer that didn't register at the till. Cashier said it had expired but he would give me the discount anyway. I replied no thanks, but they should take the care with the offer away. 3 days it was still there, and I mentioned it again to the same cashier. This time I took him up on the offer, and I did the same a few days later. Then finally the sign was taken off. How much does it take to do that? Staff always remained friendly though, which makes a difference.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 7.21am
I agree about the friendliness, eDWaRD WooDWaRD. Robin at Sainsbury's Borough High Street, (the manager) was apologetic. This makes me wonder whether it's corporate policy to mislead customers. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know the dividing line between misleading advertising and fraud.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 8.35am
It seems it is corporate policy now to tey to mislead...all the supermarkets are now indulging in confusing offers to catch unwary shoppers. they are putting up offers which allude to several goods...usually the same brand/type...but then deliberately leave 1 of them out of the deal...and you get charged full price for all. Recently I have had problems with coke and coke zero being on offer but not diet coke despite the poster saying coke was 3 for 2....and mouthwash...the same brand 2 for 1 with the sign dispalyed between the mint and spearmint displays...only to see in tiny print that it applied to the mint. This kind of decption is now endemic with all the supermarkets at it and even Boots was doing it last month. You have to really read the offer labels not just the headlines on them.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: