SE1 postal service campaign

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 43
Mapmaker Tuesday 22 June 2004 11.59am
Thanks. But as this is an essentially totally pointless exercise I cannot be bothered unless it goes to somebody who will pay attention!
Siduhe Tuesday 22 June 2004 1.33pm
You should also email Tony Phelan about this. Apparently he's been quite responsive to individual reports and it's important that he knows things like this are still going on.

Edited to say, and he may also know who is running the police investigation and hence who you could report this to for most effect.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22 June 2004 2.09pm by Siduhe.
fabhat Tuesday 22 June 2004 4.10pm
richard.porter@southwark.gov.uk is who you want to get in touch with re; crime reporting. It does make a big difference reporting missing items direct to Royal Mail, for one it makes their missing items figures leap dramatically and then there is an incentive for them to get them down by doing something...also Tony P made the very fair point when I went to see him, that if people don't tell him whats going missing, then they can't do anything.
Mapmaker Wednesday 23 June 2004 9.30am
Thanks, given earlier tips, I had reported it to both of them - my real question was where my crime reference number should come from (and to be honest, whether there's any point in it.)

Given I've lost three cheque books in 6 months (That's 100%!) something ought to be done by somebody. Or does somebody just hate me...?
rm Wednesday 23 June 2004 9.39am
thinking about it, you can probably get a ref number by phoning your local police station
Mapmaker Wednesday 23 June 2004 10.34am
Yes indeed, but frankly I cannot be bothered as it won't do me (or the police) any good whatsoever unless it is added to the rest of the file.

Also, somebody pointed out that it is not me that has suffered (potential) loss, but rather the bank, so they ought to be reporting it. Is this true? Harriet - this is your field (sort of!)?
Jac Wednesday 23 June 2004 11.55am
When I report a stolen (in the post) cheque to the police, They told me it should really be the person issuing the cheque who reported it in this case the Inland Revenue, but the IR told me to report and write to them in confirming that I did not recive the cheque and that I had reported it to the police.
schnake Thursday 24 June 2004 9.44am
getting more and more angry with this mess.
still waiting for the repayment and the bank is extremely uncooperative (quoting data protection.... who is protected, i ask myself). only threatening with a call to the fsa made them move.
i just can't believe that nothing has been sorted out after such a long time and things are still happening. you would have thought that at least there has been put a stop to it. but no.
how do you apply for watchdog? or shall we consider legal action?
since the police can't do anything, because their hands are tied.

also: there was a scary article in last sat guardian supplement about some id fraud cases, where cheques had been stolen and the bank which opened up the bogus account wasn't cooperating at all, because they said that 'it wasn't their fault that the forged documents were so authentic'.

sorry about the rant, but all the time clearing up this mess could have been spent much more effective.
schnake
fabhat Friday 25 June 2004 10.26am
Schnake,
I sent all our details to watchdog - who never replied...Maybe you should try writing to Good Housekeeping? I highly recommend Judith Gubbay, the Consumer Editor, as a tenacious consumer champion. I used to work there, but don't anymore (so I'm not biased) but they are interested in this kind of thing, and may be able to help. Also Which or Anna Tims at the Guardian...good consumer fighters as well. Good luck!
schnake Monday 28 June 2004 10.20am
thanks hat.
will try my best and keep you posted.
schnake
Current: 11 of 43

This thread has been closed

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions