SE1 postal service campaign

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 43
Friday 30 July 2004 11.46am
I'm sure she will. She has already written to Alan Crozier, the Chief Executive, a couple of times whilst working on similar problems across her constituency.

Fiona
Friday 30 July 2004 11.51am
This is all very useful. Can I ask people to email me with details of problems so we can put together a full report to send to the Chief Executive.
Regards
Fiona Colley
Research & Support Officer to Val Shawcross AM
fiona.colley(at)london.gov.uk
Friday 30 July 2004 11.55am
Ivanhoe wrote:
"I now get weekly junk mail from two sources that's addressed to my postal survey "alias" (sic- because they use a slightly adapted version of your real name in order that you can spot the survey mail). Given that this "alias" was created solely by and for the post survey, i can only assume that the survey people have been selling my details on to a mailing list compiler."

I don't actually think they've sold your address, but some junk mail actually were used as test items in the survey, and I received some long after everything else stopped. Seems like they have kicked out most people in SE1 now..
Friday 30 July 2004 12.13pm
nelson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ivanhoe wrote:
> "I now get weekly junk mail from two sources
> that's addressed to my postal survey "alias" (sic-
> because they use a slightly adapted version of
> your real name in order that you can spot the
> survey mail). Given that this "alias" was created
> solely by and for the post survey, i can only
> assume that the survey people have been selling my
> details on to a mailing list compiler."
>
> I don't actually think they've sold your
> address, but some junk mail actually were used as
> test items in the survey, and I received some long
> after everything else stopped. Seems like they
> have kicked out most people in SE1 now..

Just to add that Research International, along with all other reputable Market Research organisations, is bound by the Market Research Society's Code of Conduct and the data protection act, and are therefore prohibited from selling personal details for the purposes of marketing etc., unless you have given explicit permission for them to do so.

In fact, unless you give explicit consent, MR companies aren't even allowed to keep your details for their own use. That is, if you take part in a survey, they cannot keep your details and contact you for other surveys unless you have given explicit agreement for them to do so.

By explicit agreement, I mean something along the lines of answering "yes" to a question asking if they can pass on your details, recontact you etc.

Friday 30 July 2004 12.53pm
I'm aware that junk mail is sometimes part of the "survey mail", however I do find it unlikely that the "normal" senders in the survey have obviously had my name removed from their list of sending instructions, but my new friendly junk mail senders have, AT THE SAME TIME, been given my name and told to start (and carry on) sending me junk mail.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 30 July 2004 4.05pm
Fiona,

I have collated details of everyone who was complaining about problems with their post on a spread sheet (up until mid may anyway) which I can pass on to you, which should make useful reading. You could also try contacting richard.porter@southwark.gov.uk who was talking to the Borough commander about these problems, especially the identity theft and fraud. Simon Hughes also has much of this information...it's just a question of some of these people doing something about it!
Hat
Friday 30 July 2004 5.15pm
Thanks Hat, that would be useful. I'll check with Richard Porter, but he has changed portfolios from crime to regeneration. Perhaps he will have handed it over to Cllr Gavin O'Brien. Val has a very good relationship with the Borough Commander anyway, so in the circumstance it may be easier for her to speak to him directly.
Fiona
Friday 30 July 2004 8.26pm
Richard Porter is on holiday for a month, so it would be good to call his office to see who replaces him.
Wednesday 4 August 2004 3.06pm
Who is it we need to send our details to?

I live in a block of flats - post was being stolen from external mailboxes, so we had them put inside the block and the postman was given a fob. Now the post stealing seems to have started again, and some residents think that it's someone in the house, and others that it's the postman... but either way, it would be good to be included on the list of addresses.

The stuff that's going missing is the usual - credit card bills etc. Here we go again!
Tuesday 10 August 2004 4.00pm
Postman 'stole on mail round' - South London Press

An SE1 resident, though not working for Royal Mail in this area it seems

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Current: 15 of 43

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network