TMC -- Worthy of praise at last.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 7.25pm
In the SE1 Direct newsletter 183 today, I notice that the Director of Tabard Gardens TMC, John Everett is giving a talk tomorrow night......Monthly meeting open to residents of Cathedrals and
Chaucer wards. John Everett, manager of the Tabard
Tenant Management Organisation, will speak on how the
estate/area is changing, what problems residents face,
what is improving and what still needs to be done.

Since John Everett took over the TMC the progress has been amazing after years of neglect. All residents of Northfleet House have had in the last month -- new kitchen cabinets, sink, floor, boiler, radiators, smoke detector -- all working perfectly.
And at the moment the landings and stairwells are being painted and in August we get new windows.
And the grassy areas are being landscaped at the moment at Balin House (Long Lane) and I assume all other areas will follow.
At last Area 1 is being tidied up and we don't have to be embarassed that visitors will think they have arrived in a dump.
After years of squabbling in the TMC and nothing being done, John Everett has achieved more in a year than Alison Parr did in 8 years.
Well done John Everett.

Post edited (05 May 04 06:09)
Thursday 6 May 2004 12.57pm
I have been impressed from the start by John Everett and hope he is permanently appointed as director. However, dont be fooled by the sudden spate of works. John Everett is indeed doing wonders, but this is very much helped by some one-off sums of money received from Southwark Housing and via the Community Council, in recognition that the estate has indeed been left out in the cold over recent years. I hope that things will continue to be better than they have been, but dont expcet improvements to continue at the same speed as recently.

Also, please be aware that John Everett and Alison Parr are not comparable. John Everett is the Director of the TMC, ie. a housing professional paid a professional salary to do the job. There was also a (in my opinion very much less successful) Director in Alison's time, but Alison was the Chair of the management committee, ie. a resident like you or me, and unpaid.
Thursday 6 May 2004 3.20pm
As a resident of Tabard Gardens,I thoroughly welcome all the recent improvements that are going new windows are going in next Tuesday.

But I don't think John Everett is the only reason these improvements are happening.In my opinion,it has more to do with the governments "Decent Homes Standards" finally arriving on the estate.....therefore,more to do with good timing than superior management.

What has disappointed me is watching the scaffolding coming down from the blocks fitted with new windows without using the opportunity of the erected scaffolding to touch-up the paintwork that desperately needs doing on these blocks........we've had information through the door saying that painting is going ahead at some point,so killing two birds with one stone would make financial and common sense to me.Could've been managed better,in my opinion.

As for the lanscaping work going on around Balin House.......I thought that the Tabard Square development were giving the money to improve the look of that area of Long Lane.Probably so that their new occupants would have a better view than was there previously.......Not a 100% sure about that,but it was mentioned in the planning application for Tabard Square,as was 90,000 have to of improvements to Tabard Gardens Park,which ,as we know, have already happened.

As I said,it all sounds like the right place at the right time for John Everett.............
Thursday 6 May 2004 11.47pm
You're right that money was awarded for environmental improvements for Balin, Brenley and Eynsford from the Tabard Sq development, but that money has yet to be spent and may be renegotiated for something else. The money spent recently was awarded by the community council.

The money you mention for the park has also not been spent yet (as far as I know). It is in addition to the recent major spending in Tabard Park - so I'm hoping we might get some nice planting.

You're right about the 'good timing'. However, one of the differences between the current and previous directors is that John Everett goes to the community council as described by Phoney, participates in community affairs and pushes for money, so when some becomes available, like the decent homes money, the TMC is in a good position to get it. Emma Forsyth, on the other hand, and many of the previous management committee members of that era, considered the world outside Tabard to be a nuisance and a waste of time and effort.

There are many more issues, reasons and complexities to all this, many of them political (eg. Tabard is 'flavour of the month' with some people in Southwark at the moment because some vocal people who are now on the management committee 'did the right thing' politically, ie. reject stock transfer). But I think we will all agree - Tabard reached rock bottom and could only go up and thank god it is doing so - whatever the reasons.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: