Muggings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
ali
Tuesday 4 May 2004 11.56pm
Dear all,
Just a note to let you know of an increasingly worrying amount of muggings that seem to be going on in the waterloo area that I have heard about in the last couple of weeks. My mums neighbour was mugged on bank holiday monday of her handbag going into her flats, Rowland Hill House in Union Street. She said the man was very professional and whipped her bag within seconds even though she wore in across her body. Luckily he did not hurt her...she was just very shocked, but this is now the fourth person I know who has been violiated. Please be extra careful especially at night when this incidences have have been happening. The other places have been Roupell Street, The cut and Mitre Road.
Wednesday 5 May 2004 11.13am
Friend of mine also had her bag snatched from her in Union Street a few months ago. Seems to be a muggers black spot! I think these were 'yoofs' though.
Wednesday 5 May 2004 12.26pm
Ali, I attended a neighbourhood forum meeting in Library Street Neighbourhood housing office a couple of weeks ago. I spoke to a couple of people who were residents of Rowland Hill House and one of them mentioned that their friend or neighbour ( I don't remember which) had recently been mugged in the lift. It also seemed that residents there were liaising with police about crime issues as some of it was related to drug dealing going on in that area. Anyway, it may be worth finding out to add your information to what they already have and contacting both the community police officer and the Housing Office so that there may be increased policing and perhaps warnings to your other neighbours about the problem.
Saturday 8 May 2004 8.31am
Ali

I am the chair of Nelson Square Gardens and thanks very much for letting people know about the mugging. I take it that you put the messages up but I might be wrong... Is the resident OK and was it reported to the police?

Liz
ali
Sunday 9 May 2004 10.40pm
Dear Ants, Rach and Liz,
Thank you for all your messages.
It made interesting reading as I didn't know about the other incidents, I hope these are just isolated.
The police were informed and were very good and hopefully we are all much more aware of our surroundings when walking around. But isn't it a shame we have to be.
Keep safe.
Ali
Sunday 9 May 2004 10.53pm
Welcome to the forum, Liz

Hope you are encouraged to post here, and that there are happier topics to discuss.
Monday 10 May 2004 6.02pm
Ali and Lang Rabbie

I have worked very hard at trying to get people to discuss incidents and threats to their safety and happiness - because that's what makes us a community. Even today one of the ladies (who doesn't come to our meetings) asked who the person was and was she OK. That is very encouraging on an estate with 500 or so flats which is affected by the new tube station and the constant changes to the area.

Sorry you didn't put up the notices but that at least shows me that more people care.

Thanks

Liz

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: