Tower Bridge Nursing Home

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 8 June 2011 5.36pm
Such a shame that our local care home is at risk now with the redundancies and may face closure. What will happen to the residents that are living there?

http://www.carehome.co.uk/carehome.cfm/searchazref/20001005TOUB

Related news & features

Thursday 9 June 2011 9.36am
Hopefully Southwark will reclaim the responsibility for caring for it's elderly and build new homes! Tower bridge nursing home used to have a dreadful reputation and southwark for a while stopped placing people there.

Was curious that southern Cross has decided to get rid of 3000 staff accross all their 'homes' if they retain the majority of their homes that will mean dreadful care for residents.
Friday 10 June 2011 6.49pm
I would agree it's a shame if no alternatives are being offered. But the place always looked depressing anyway - the overflow stains running down the walls always illustrated neglect to me. What gets me is that if a massive company like Southern Cross are going bust then what does the future hold for this "industry". Let's face it - a lot of us are going to need a nursing home - and we should be more involved in how they run. There's got to be some lateral thinking - not everything should/can be profit-led!
Tuesday 14 June 2011 11.10am
They only had two lifts in the building when I took my Mum over to visit a friend who was a resident there. and only one lift was working!
Thursday 16 June 2011 10.11am
The woes of Southern Cross have been well documented, and was the result of ownership going to an American company which then stripped it of its assets and then sold it off for a huge profit.

One of the big problems is that it does not own it's properties any more, so is subject to rent increases and have nothing to borrow against.

Many of the properties were bought by other companies providing similar services and so has destablised the sector.

Sadly one of the consequences of depending on a free market to provide such services.
Thursday 16 June 2011 6.39pm
Have heard bad things about those in southwark, Yet my Dads in a care home in Essex and they are very good and very on the ball and caring. I heard bad things about the one in southwark park road which they shut down and how they treated patients made me feel sick. Dads care home if he is unwell and they cant treat they send him straight to hospital. They dont take no chances.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network