Recording of public meetings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 14 June 2011 11.44pm
At my local TRA meeting this evening it was announced that the proceedings would be recorded by the Chairman if there were no objections. The question arose as to whether anyone else attending the meeting could also make a recording. The answer was no. Neither would copies of the recording be available. As far as the attendees were aware, recording had already started. Any thoughts???
Wednesday 15 June 2011 8.30am
Probably good points to object on there! Why can't the recordings be made available/ Why can't anyone else record? Sounds very dubious.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.18am
It usually wouldn't be allowed in a court, but as far as I know, you can secretly record it, and you can share the recording.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.34am
The trouble is, were I do do that, they would exclude me from the association using the Constitution which states
"It shall be a condition of membership that members at
all times conduct themselves in a reasonable manner
at meetings or in premises used by the Association.
Any member may be excluded for breach of condition,
or for any other conduct contravening the objects of the Association, by a majority of those present and voting at any Committee or General Meeting."

This, btw, in spite of the fact that constant breaches of the said Constitution and Code of Conduct take place. The failure to keep or publish proper minutes for one.

Mind you, it could be worse, I suppose:
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2011/06/public-council-police-thompson
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.42am
Is there a reason for the Chair to record the meetings? Is it purely so that accurate minutes can be typed up? If this is the case, then I would suggest you tolerate the Chair's request - it is after all, a voluntary job and anything that makes the job easier/quicker is understandable. Presumably, your neighbours had enough trust in the person to vote them in as Chair.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.49am
I agree that it's a reasonable and understandable request, but there were two people taking notes for minutes (which never seem to be published) and I think that if one person is allowed to record, then others should be permitted too. After all, what's to hide??
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.52am
JayBee wrote:
The trouble is, were I do do that, they would exclude me from the association

beetroot wrote:
secretly
Wednesday 15 June 2011 12.05pm
secretly - but what if I'm caught??? I'd much rather do it openly and I don't understand why I shouldn't be allowed to do it if it's being recorded anyway. I would like to be clear on what takes place too.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 1.37pm
Karen I,
"Presumably, your neighbours had enough trust in the person to vote them in as Chair"
Well, that's another debate - presumably the people of Zimbabwe, or Iran and loads of other places had enough trust too. I don't think so.
It would be better, I think, to have a secret ballot rather than a show of hands at the election of officers, but there you go.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.31pm
jaybee i can totally understand your frustration. i was briefly (for some 6 months) involved with our tra and it was the first time in, i was told, a decade, that people living on the estate actually knew what was going on. because i designed a little booklet distributed to every single household on the estate, inviting them to get involved. and we then set up a newsletter (again delivered to every household). and a google group (and later website) where all the meeting minutes were published, within days of the meeting.
as someone else said before, the people involved with the tras are all volunteers, with not necessarily all the time in the world, or maybe they simply don't know how to do some things. i'd suggest you talk to them, and maybe suggest some solutions to the poor communication?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: