Borough High Street resurfacing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Zoe
Saturday 18 June 2011 7.57am
Does anyone have an update on this work?

On the section North of Union Street there's been quite some cone moving going on, and I sort of have the notion that the cones would be moved with the road repairs, but I'm not seeing it.

Yesterday they had again moved the cones and there had been quite a large patch repair to the road, which seemed particularly odd, when they are redoing the whole road, why patch repair.

But then I wondered if they really are doing the whole road, maybe I'm just hoping they are, am I living in a fantasy that the road being closed for months will lead to a new road surface?

I remember when the Hammersmith flyover was resurfaced, it was such a lovely place to drive afterwards, I was sort of hoping for the same for BHS!
Saturday 18 June 2011 11.42am
I think they have a really smart plan at work here. My theory is that the Council will dig up BHS randomly s until their stats prove that it's barely used for traffic at all.

They will then be able to pedestrianise it.

Having lived on it for 10 years, this is the only explanation that I can think of.
Saturday 18 June 2011 1.05pm
Ha! That's the most positive and refreshingly optimistic point of view ever! Tending to be a more cynical pessimist myself, Phoenix, I wholeheartedly hope you are right!
Zoe
Saturday 18 June 2011 4.05pm
Thanks Phoenix, that makes perfect sense to me now. I'd quite like BHS to be part pedestrianised, so I will stop complaining about the illogical organisation of the work :)
Sunday 19 June 2011 7.16am
It's like an obstacle course at the moment for traffic and pedestrians.

Sunday 19 June 2011 7.16am
Phoenix has got the drift. It's actually the plan for the whole of London.
Monday 20 June 2011 1.59pm
It is quite simple - TFL are fixing the drainage system on Borough High Street first before completing the full resurfacing and pavement works. This explains the patchwork nature of the works thus far.

I think this was all explained in the TFL leaflet that all local residents received ...
Zoe
Monday 20 June 2011 6.05pm
Thanks Jon, that might explain it, but surely Thames Water did something to the drainage when they did work there, are these different drains?

Thanks for photos btw Phoney, the second one with the barrier on the steps really made me laugh!
Monday 20 June 2011 8.17pm
Does anybody know when this hell will be over?!? Jon, you seem word up on it, what's the POA?
Monday 20 June 2011 10.00pm
Tom the Chippy wrote:
Does anybody know when this hell will be over?!?

Well T. the C., I guess that eventually BHS will return to some semblance of what passes for normality.
Naturally, as SE1 residents this thoroughfare is of importance to all of you.
But from where I sit, the hell that is London's roadworks will probably never be over.
Take a trip across the river and check out the fiasco that is The City at the moment.
Cornhill closed until mid July.
City road closed southbound from South Place until September.
Old Broad St., open now, but closed whenever they feel like it.
Queen Victoria St. at Blackfriars, down to one lane for the foreseeable future.
The Aldgate one-way system, almost permanently dug up. And don't get me started on the car park that is Trafalgar Square, Cockspur St. and Pall Mall East while St. James St., Pall Mall, and possibly Haymarket are converted to two way traffic.
If any of you have 40 - 45 minutes of spare time, take a leisurely crawl from Hyde Park Corner to Piccadilly Circus, it must be all of 900 metres to 1 km.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: