Southwark Charging for estate parking

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 18 June 2011 11.53am
It appears that I will now be charged 75 for renewing my permit which has been free up to now.
When did this start? I don't recall being informed. And this on top of a hike in garage rents.....
Saturday 18 June 2011 12.53pm
When the TMC managed Tabard Gardens parking was free but since southwark took over charges were introduced although this doesn't seem to deter casual parking by non-residents. Is illegal parking enforced?
Does southwark have difficulty letting it's garages? There is a permanent ad on display on the notice board in my building offering such lets and this morning received a leaflet in the post offering garages for parking and storage.
Sunday 19 June 2011 10.29am
JayBee wrote:
It appears that I will now be charged 75 for renewing my permit which has been free up to now.
When did this start? I don't recall being informed. And this on top of a hike in garage rents.....

My daughter bought a new car 4 weeks ago and didn't pay anything for an estate permit, but we noticed there was a charge for a second permit if you have two cars which was 75.
Sunday 19 June 2011 10.55am
Aha! That might explain it
Sunday 19 June 2011 2.33pm
As far as I'm aware parking permits are still free, but there is a 75 charge for a 2nd car
Monday 20 June 2011 10.34am
Personally, I wouldn't be complaining about having to pay 75pa to park.

I'd especially not be complaining if what was actually happening was that I was being allowed to park my FIRST car for free, but being charged 75pa for parking my SECOND car.

But perhaps my feeling of entitlement is lower than the norm.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 June 2011 12.13pm
Clearly, I misread the info. Yes, the first car is free.
Ivanhoe, go ahead and pay it then! ;-) On it's own, it's not a huge amount, I agree, but it would be yet another increase in expenditure.
Monday 20 June 2011 1.18pm
It's OK, thanks. I'll leave this one to you.

Turned on its head, one could take the view that one had been lucky in having free parking for two cars until now (and, indeed, can still have free parking for one car even now). It's a benefit that few others have, in this part of town.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 June 2011 1.33pm
I had no idea it was only 20p a day for a second car permit.
That means that a flat parking two bikes in Southwark's BikeAway-run locker scheme (35pa is the ongoing cost) is paying almost the same amount as a flat parking two cars!
I thought Southwark was supposed to be increasingly pro-cycling :-/

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: