Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 19 June 2011 12.42pm
R.W. Autos, Morocco Street, feedback on repairs

My car was misfiring and i took it to R.W.Autos who seemed to know what my car and said it was probably a faulty coil. They said they put it on their computer and diagnosed the problem which was a catalytic converter and a sensor. They said i would need 2 new converters and a set of sensors, and i should get these. New they cost about 3,000, so get reconditioned. The labour cost would be about half days work, 3-4 hours.

Relatives advised caution and i took my car to my usual garage which diagnosed on their computer, whilst i watched, a faulty coil, changed it while i waited in about 15 minutes, and charged me 40. The car drives perfectly again. The mechanic here also said that if the catalytic converters and sensors had been changed, it would have made no difference to the misfiring.

You should draw your own conclusions
Sunday 19 June 2011 2.31pm
It's advisable to look at for a decent garage that won't rip you off
Sunday 19 June 2011 2.46pm
I used to use them regularly, and have recommended on here, but my recent experience with them was also very poor.

I don't believe they do much of the work themselves any more. All subcontracted...
Sunday 19 June 2011 5.22pm
Sending unburned fuel & hydrocarbons through the catalytic converter may damage it, but at a grand a pop, it might be worth leaving them in at least until the emissions part of the MOT.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: