New mobile telephone mast on Long Lane / Weston St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 19 June 2011 4.01pm
Does anyone have any information on the mobile phone mast that has been installed this week on top of Tangerine House on the junction of Long Lane and Weston Street?

I asked one of the engineers and they said it was a mast for 02.

There is no record of any planning permission etc for this - is this allowed? It's doing no favours for the look of the area, it can be easily seen from the road.
Sunday 19 June 2011 7.23pm
I think the Council stuck three or four of them on the top of Peverill house about 20 years ago, masts I mean not 02...did not tell the tenants who would be adversly affected healthwise possibly...they are ugly things but with the need for mobiles which is increasing the companmy is probably paying the managing company a hefty fee..
Monday 20 June 2011 9.46am
Tangerine House is not in the Bermondsey Street Conservation area so it not bound by the 'cover it up' rules.
Monday 20 June 2011 9.48am
The masts were installed without consultation with residents of Tangerine House and in breach of local planning regulations.

The installation is highly detrimental to the local area, and with the developments around London Bridge mobile phone operators will be looking for more sites in the area. This sets a terrible precident.

Tangerine House residents are coordinating objections to the council ... any SE1'ers concerned about this or future installations please contact me direct for details.
Monday 20 June 2011 3.32pm
We had them installed on our block 10 years ago, they are now classed as "sitting tenants" as the landlord didnt do anything when the renwal came up. They do pay rent to be there though, suppose its extra income for the council.
Monday 20 June 2011 3.40pm
What about the woman/man/child sleeping 2 meters away form that roof?

It comes just in a hot period when the role of magnetic field/mobile phones, in the aetiology of ceratin pathologies is being reviewd. Specially for children..

I am not sure it is an optical effect but it looks just right on top of a flat.
Monday 20 June 2011 6.23pm
We all need to register complaints with the council a soon as possible, prior to the installers applying for retrospective planning permission or this atrocious structure will be a permanent feature of the area.

I know we all use mobile phones, but there are far more suitable sites (higher and arguably uglier buildings) and the instalation does not need to look like something that was put up in the sticks in the 1980's.

Please contact Robhutchuk above to receive details on who to complain.
Wednesday 29 June 2011 10.17pm
Hi robhutchuk, I'm a Weston St resident and would like to get involved in your complaints if not too late. I've also mentioned this to a planning consultant and he suggests this should have required planning permission and we would have a strong case to complain to the local authority.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: