Fitness4Less

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 27 June 2011 10.18am
Has anyone got anything, whether good or bad, to say about Fitness4Less on Great Suffolk Street?

I'm a member at Topnotch and, believe me, that name is a massive misrepresentation. I'll be leaving shortly when my minimum term expires. I've been a member at Fitness First and Soho over the years and so fancy another change of scenery rather than simply returning to one of them. I can't really speak for FF as I haven't been a member for years and years but Soho is nice and my wife still goes there. My only gripe is that when I left there the erstwhile manager pestered me with stroppy messages about reconsidering.

Naturally I will be having a good look around Fitness4Less but if anyone has any comments I'd be grateful. Has the low price left it massively oversubscribed, for example? Do the staff clear up after messy, inconsiderate, members or is the place left in a state?

Cheers

M
Monday 27 June 2011 10.27am
The Fitness4Less club in Great Suffolk Street is operated by the same firm as Topnotch.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 27 June 2011 10.37am
Oh dear. Perhaps they'll rebrand Topnotch as Less4More.

That doesn't put me off as such. My gripes with Topnotch do not, for example, include the staff. They are all really friendly. However, there are times when the changing rooms are a mess and the cleaners do nothing about it. I sometimes spend 3 hours in there. The same array of dirty tissues, wet towels, and litter that was there when I arrived adorn the changing rooms when I leave. The weights area is very tired as is much of the equipment. I hate it when people use things and don't put them back. I have had to help smaller, older, people shift big weight plates when they have been left on bars or on the floor by lazy members. The staff do seem more interested in chatting amongst themselves that in tidying up. It's a bad combination of sloppy members and lazy staff.

My main problems relate to the changing area. It's messy and it stinks. There is often a pool of urine around the urinals. The shower area is filthy with grime everywhere save for where a cursory effort has been made to clean it off.

I complained to the manager but he is sub-moronic and his responses to my emails verged on the surreal.

My thinking is that whilst F4L might end up just as bad at least in the interim the fresh equipment, attitude, and plumbing might make it a far better option for a few years.
Monday 27 June 2011 11.00am
I joined Fitness4Less about a month ago and I'm perfectly happy about it. The place is certainly perfectly clean, with none of the problems that you have described and I have no complaints in that respect.

It can get busy in the peak evening period, and you will need to wait if you want to use a particularly weight machine. So far, it's no worse in that respect than any other gym I've used; I'll have to see how many more members they get in future.

The only complaint I'd echo from your list is that the weights room tends to end up in a mess by the end of the day, with weights everywhere and disorganised racks. You don't tend to see many staff around, so it's up to the users to keep it arranged, which doesn't entirely work.

But for the price I'm not complaining.
Monday 27 June 2011 11.04am
That's really helpful, thank you. I have no problem asking people to put stuff away in the absence of staff and I do think that many gym users would benefit from a little education in gym etiquette.

Aside from the cost, I suppose the main benefit is the rolling contract. If it's bad you can always walk away.

Does it get very busy over there?
Monday 27 June 2011 11.42am
Very spacious and friendly, rolling contract is good. However, I'm not keen on providing my finger print to get into the gym, I'm sure there are other cost effective ways to deal with that. Apart from that, pretty good deal.
Monday 27 June 2011 11.55pm
Fitness4Less is a decent gym, its spacious, has good cardio, free weights and good selection of classes, ive not been to any classes yet and only used the gym at off peak times and am very happy.

The only bad points i must say is their music selection is not the best.. commercial pop! invest in a mp3 player. They could have done without the finger printing, its the only place that has my finger print! and close @ 5pm on weekends.

I have been a member at Top Notch, 37 & Soho, its a nice change

Staff seem okay too, speak when spoken to! lol
Tuesday 28 June 2011 9.40am
Joined about a month ago having been with Fitness First until then. So far I like it. It is no frills (no water fountains, bring your own padlock, that sort of stuff), but at the price you can't expect much.

Spacious, plenty of equipment, cheap, and no contract. I like it so far.
Tuesday 28 June 2011 12.14pm
This sounds promising. Thanks for the input.

I cancelled my membership at Topnotch last night, effective as soon as my minimum term expires at the end of July. After lengthy email correspondence with the manager and having got nowhere I got the distinct impression that they wouldn't care if I left immediately. None of the issues I raised have been addressed in spite of their assurances that they would be and the halfwit manager(s) (one who claims to be the manager simply forwarded my emails to someone else to respond) couldn't have filled me with less confidence in their ability to improve things.

I spoke at length with the girl behind the counter last night, explaining that the woeful condition of parts of the gym and of much of the equipment meant that I had had enough. She told me that they have an ongoing struggle with the powers that be to get funding for much needed improvements. It's a shame that they have to deal with disgruntled members day in, day out. My guess is that the place will close before long. Bit of a false economy scrimping on basics like plumbing (a simple job to stop the urinals leaking urine all over the floor!) only to lose decent chunks of revenue from outgoing members.

Hope it bites them on the backside.
Tuesday 28 June 2011 1.55pm
I am happy with Fitness First for the price it is no frills and a rolling stoppable cheap contract.
Yes the muzak will drive you in-sane.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: