The Virgilian Hell which is Southwark Parking Services

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
marcuslesser Wednesday 29 June 2011 11.59am
I have just spent hours on the phone for the 2nd time this month trying to get visitor permits. I live in Southwark's zone M1 and have a fully paid up resident's permit - but we have a number of tradesmen coming round and I've had to purchase visitor permits twice in the past month (52 for 20 by the way!)

It turns out that the booklets are delivered by hand by parking wardens - they won't put them through the letterbox, they have to be received by hand BUT THEY DON'T LEAVE A NOTE SO SAY THEY'VE BEEN DELIVERED. So if everyone in the house works then you don't get your permits - BUT THERE IS NO WARNING ABOUT THIS WHEN YOU ORDER THEM ON SOUTHWARK'S SITE.

I eventually sorted this the first time by picking up permits from APCOA's offices on Old Kent Road (oposite ToysRus) - but could only do this cos I happened to be working at home one day.

Southwark's own parking helpline is kinda useless - I've spent hours on it over a number of days and have only got through on one occasion. I only managed to get through on the first occasion because it had become an emergency and I rang the main helpdesk and forced them to put me through to a manager in parking administration.

This is rubbish! What can be done to make the Council pull their socks up?

Advertisement

Davies Wednesday 29 June 2011 8.41pm
It's an absolute nightmare. It wasn't great before they shut the parking shop but now it's beyond surreal.

Every time I renew my permit I have to call parking services several times over a period of days or weeks to get a "reissued" permit as I'm told the first two or three always get lost in the post and I have to drive to work at vast additional expense because I can't leave my car outside my house although I've paid to do so. None of my complaints on this matter have been answered at all, let alone a refund or permit extension forthcoming for the lost days weeks money.

The head of parking services was apparently notified by a councillor on my behalf but I never heard a thing from him.

I'm out of visitors permits, I can't afford to loose the money. I've noticed far fewer cars parking here lately, maybe that's the aim. No one can get the permits.
red_bus Thursday 30 June 2011 3.28pm
Top marks for coining a new term for epic and heroic, rather than relying upon the more traditional 'homeric'... unless of course you are alluding to a more infernal experience; the sort which might come upon a man in the middle of his life, lost in a dark wood...

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions