Daft questions about Painters and Decorators

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 3 July 2011 11.34am
Hello Lovely SE1-ers
I have a very basic question to ask re painter and decorators.
How much would be normal to pay ( without materials)
a decorator. For a tiny one bed flat? ( Really a studio but with a bedroom attahced -where the bed touchs both side walls it is that small)

Second stupid question
How much (without materials) would be a reasonable price to pay to put down a laminate floorboard floor
About twelve foot by seven and a bit extra for a bit of corridor?

I am clueless?
Thankyou
Sunday 3 July 2011 2.20pm
I am sorry I have no idea but you could get a few people along to give you a quote which will give you an idea of the range of price you might have to pay someone else to do the work.
Sunday 3 July 2011 5.38pm
Thanks little john, I think that may be the way
Sunday 3 July 2011 6.30pm
Between 70 - 100 a day
Sunday 3 July 2011 7.19pm
To paint a small flat, (as long as there's not too much woodwork and the walls are sound) it should take a decent decorator 2 days max and cost around 120 - 150 a day.
You would be able to find someone cheaper but often that's a false economy, and they may take longer and end up costing you more in the long run.
As for a laminate floor, as long as the flat's clear and solely for the job of laying it down (i.e. no removal of carpet or pre existing flooring) it should take a carpenter about a day (150).
This obviously doesn't include any materials.
hope this helps.
Sunday 3 July 2011 9.00pm
A few points re flooring:

- If there's another flat below you and you're getting rid of carpet, first check your lease. For quite sensible noise reasons, many have restrictions on doing that.

- If you can possibly afford it get engineered board, which fits together like laminate but has a layer of real wood, which is even sandable in the future, rather than a plastic-coated photograph of woodgrain.

- Whatever you buy, to avoid shrinkage or buckling take early delivery and store it in its packs laid flat indoors for a good few days (not up against the wall) so it acclimatises before going down.

Good luck!
Monday 4 July 2011 9.37am
Hi Kory

You may find this website useful.

Also Google for "decoration online quote"
Monday 4 July 2011 9.49am
Thanks everyone you are so helpful -engineered boards I had not even heard of-but I am basement-rabit hutch so no probs re noise.
Thanks for all your help/suggestions /webs
Marvelous

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: