Pensioners social clubs - anything left?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 4 July 2011 7.49pm
I'm writing on behalf of an elderly neighbour. She's 82 and although in reasonably good shape she's terribly lonely.
I'm trying to find some sort of befriending service or social club not too far away (she's near the Jamaica Road end of Abbey St/Spa Road area).

Does anyone know of anything? She's not up to line dancing or long walks but very chatty and just wants people in her sort of age range to have tea with. She's scottish so I guess the Irish pensioners on Grange are out?
Monday 4 July 2011 9.07pm
I'd ask in the Beormund Centre, especially given it sounds like she's almost opposite it. There's definitely (or certainly was) a Bermondsey Pensioners Group so they may have a social offshoot.
Monday 4 July 2011 9.37pm
I'll try that, thanks!
Tuesday 5 July 2011 7.48am
there used to be a pensioners advice type centre for Southwark in Camberwell if it has survived the cuts-the council site will have their details they may be able to advise you

my Gran used to go to a day centre where they used to chat have lunch bingo etc and the council used to pick her up and take her home it sounds like she needs something like that

also help the aged or whatever the combined organisation is now called???
Tuesday 5 July 2011 8.01am
Does she like bingo?
my mum shes 75 goes to the one at the elephant they get there early have lunch and a natter,
also i will pop into the blackfriars settlement in great suffolk st on my way home as im sure they have a good pensioners group,
hope she finds something soon.
Tuesday 5 July 2011 10.15am
There was an ad in southwark news asking for volunteers to visit the elderly for 1 or 2 hours a week...will see if i have thrown it away.
Tuesday 5 July 2011 2.32pm
Hi Dee Dee, the day care centre is exactly what she needs - tea and a natter. That's the sort of thing I was looking for. I looked on Southwark and there is something left but it all seems to be line dancing and country walks and she's not up to that. Beomond are the same, I dropped in today - all exercise classes and stuff which is great for the younger pensioners but too much for this lady. - They did suggest I try Age Concern so I'm doing that next.

bankside the bingo is just the sort of thing, I know she used to go, I expect she stopped because of trouble getting there by herself. Thank you for taking the trouble to pop into Blackfriers for me that's so kind.

Jan the Old One - again that would be perfect. Do let me know if you find the ad and I'll check the Southwark New website just in case they put ads up there as well as printing them.

Thank you all very much!
Tuesday 5 July 2011 4.19pm
Davies

does your friend qualify for dial a ride? if so they may be able to take her and pick her up if she went bingo.

i think part of the problem for many older people is the lack of info about what is out there and what they are entitled to.
Wednesday 6 July 2011 3.20pm
There is an Age Concern on Southwark Park road. I know that they do Bingo during the week there.
Thursday 7 July 2011 3.38pm
I think there is a still a befriending project at Time and Talents. Contact is Sue Sexton. It's a nice place and they run various older people's social groups and activities.
http://www.timeandtalents.org.uk/page66/Projects.html
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: