Heygate design info

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 July 2011 11.17pm
Hi

Are there any architectural blueprints or design information for the heygate buildings on a website somewhere? Or maybe in a book? e.g. site plans, floor plans, design info, etc. similar to what I might see in a modern planning application? I would be very interested in this. Particularly if there is commentary on why it was designed the way it was.

Thanks

James
Wednesday 6 July 2011 7.05am
I has understood it to be prefabricated. There was an excellent documentary - The Rise and Fall of the Council House - which had a very small bit on Heygate. Might find it on iPlayer.

As for building plans/permissions, these will be with the council. Sometimes difficult to get years later...

The demolition plans (more recent and thus easier to obtain) will hAve a potted history of development. Also, local studies library had lat least one photo of estate construction.
Wednesday 6 July 2011 8.25am
There are some interesting artists' impressions on this website developed by Adrian Glasspool, a remaining resident, who reports on a meeting with the designer.

here

In fact, I recently bumped into Tim Tinker, the original architect of the Heygate. He was touring the estate with a group of architects talking about the design of the estate and the remarkably good condition of the structure. One thing he mentioned was how he had designed the estate with long high-rise buildings on the perimeter, which encircled the family maisonettes and park areas in the middle.

More here: http://heygate.heroku.com/pages
Wednesday 6 July 2011 11.50am
I remember a few years ago going to a party in the main high-rise section, the flats were pretty spacious on the inside and had great views. Even back then though so many were vacant.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Thursday 7 July 2011 6.57am
They were indeed great flats - as were/are the ones on the Aylesbury Estate - very spacious and well insulated because of the concrete, no one will ever give Council tenants such good flats again, too much square footage!
The reinforced concrete was indeed easy to manufacture in big units, but alas "concrete cancer" invaded.
Thursday 7 July 2011 8.21pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
The reinforced concrete was indeed easy to manufacture in big units, but alas "concrete cancer" invaded.

Is there any evidence for that? There are various references on websites protesting against the demolition to a 1998 report by Allot & Lomax for Southwark that said the Heygate was actually structurally sound [but the supposed links to a pdf copy of the report don't work for me].

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: