Allotments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 7 July 2011 7.54pm
Hello

Me again! Just wondered if anyone knew about allotments in SE1? I can see some postings going back to 2007.

On the Southwark Council website, they say there are allotments on Alscot Road but I can't find any contact details for them. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Nicky
Friday 8 July 2011 9.20am
I think you'd need to contact

Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Horticultural Society, PO Box 66976, London, SE16 9BQ

Also there are some allotments on the Heygate Estate now so worth checking those out.
Monday 11 July 2011 8.23am
Like the vast majority of London allotment waiting lists, the one of the Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Horticultural Society is now closed. The waiting list in most Boroughs is years long and there is no realistic chance of getting a plot in under 5 years, some say even 10 years! Unlike outside London there is no legal requirement for local authorities to provide allotments to those who want them.

Allotments are once again of their time, and it is up to the public and existing allotment groups to lobby Councils to release more land for this sustainable, healthy, low cost facility.
Monday 11 July 2011 11.21am
"low cost facility"

What rot. Land in SE1 must be worth, what, 100-1,000 per square foot? (I've no idea but it must be somewhere in that range depending on location, planning etc.) So on that basis a standard 10-rod allotment plot is 271,800 - 2,719,000.

Why should the Council not sell off its allotments for building and spend the money on everybody, rather than on a privileged tiny minority. And as for the council going out to buy land in order to provide new allotments...

It might be low cost based on a 36 per annum rent, but it's not low cost for the landowner.
Monday 11 July 2011 2.17pm
Dronid - you mentioned allotments on the Heygate estate - please can you suggest a contact / enquiry route for those? thanks :-)
Monday 11 July 2011 4.08pm
Sophie, they are somewhere in the middle of Deacon Way, I suggest going for a wander. They've an amazing crop of Japanese Knotweed.
Monday 11 July 2011 4.43pm
Some Heygate temporary allotment info is here - they are a group called the Mobile Elephant Gardeners.

The gardeners are awaiting news from Walworth Garden Farm whom the Council have asked to help formalise the arrangements as an encouragement of interim use of part of the Heygate Estate site during regeneration - which I think is a creative way of making use of the land which otherwise will be fenced off and unused.

But in the interim it is certainly a good idea to go and speak to the gardeners on site - they are currently cultivating former garden areas between the low-rise maisonette blocks north of Heygate St - either via the Deacon Way entrance or the gate of New Kent Rd near the Oakmayne Site. The principle that the gardeners are working to is quoted on the website:

Quote:
The Gardeners are very aware of the temporary nature of the gardens and have no wish to slow down any progress on the re-development. Our aim is that over the next 15 years, as demolition and redevelopment moves around the site, the gardeners should also move around the site taking advantage areas not being worked on to continue fruit and veg production.
Monday 11 July 2011 4.43pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
Sophie, they are somewhere in the middle of Deacon Way, I suggest going for a wander. They've an amazing crop of Japanese Knotweed.

Mapmaker, you really are a cynic! Of course, allotments and people growing things together in the inner city is never going to be a money spinner but that's not the point. Not everything in life has to come down to money and value. If it did we would sell off the parks and build housing and offices on all that prime SE1 land. But we don't. Why! Because we decided to subsidise some things that add into some people's quality of life (like libraries too!)even if we don't use those services much.

Sophie and anyone else who is interested - You can find the allotments in between the low rise blocks. There is an amazing variety of plants being grown.

Some links here:
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46360829@N03/with/5733862595/

http://southwarknotes.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/06020039.jpg?w=225&h=300

http://southwarknotes.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/06020041.jpg?w=300&h=225

http://southwarknotes.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/06020030.jpg?w=300&h=225

http://elephantandcastleurbanforest.posterous.com/
Wednesday 13 July 2011 3.29pm
Cynic? They've got an amazing crop of Japanese knotweed.
Tuesday 18 August 2015 12.39pm
Hi all,

In case anyone is still interested, I have managed to get the email address for the Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Horticultural Society. You can ask to be put on the waiting list for an allotment by email - the wait is apparently 4 years at the moment.

The email address is: bermondsey.rotherhithe.hs@googlemail.com

Amy
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: