Burning smell

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 15 July 2011 9.43am
Hi gang

Most week days up near Shad Thames there is a strange burning smell, a bit like burnt toast but a bit sweeter. It starts at about 10:30am and goes on until 14:00 ish.

I assumed it was a local café or pub - but I was near Bermondsey Square on Monday and you can smell it down there!

Any ideas what the cause is???
Friday 15 July 2011 11.38am
Could it be the Ticino bakery on Bermondsey Street? Or maybe they bake bread for St John's Bread & Wine in the railway arches near Maltby Street?
Friday 15 July 2011 12.12pm
Maybe - but when the wind is in the right direction it really is a VERY strong smell!
Friday 15 July 2011 12.31pm
I think you will find it is the coffee roasting at Monmouth on Maltby St - I think it smells nice!
Jac
Friday 15 July 2011 1.55pm
Kanne wrote:
I think you will find it is the coffee roasting at Monmouth on Maltby St - I think it smells nice!

I think this is probable what it is. there use to be a coffee roasters in wilds rents and the high roast smelt just like burnt toast. Wouldn't describe it as nice though!
Friday 15 July 2011 1.56pm
Ah - thanks for that. No, it's not very nice at all.
Monday 18 July 2011 7.53am
And I thought it was just me who could smell it. I live in SE1 but have noticed the smell as far away as Lewisham, will be really interested to see if anyone has an answer for it.
Monday 18 July 2011 8.18am
Yes - if it starts today I will follow my nose and check out the lead of "Monmouth Coffee Company" on Maltby St.

It really is a strong stink (Iv'e upgraded from 'smell')!!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: