Wanted: long memories and local historians

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 10 May 2004 4.24pm
Over in Webber Row, a glorious corner of SE1 near Waterloo, we're gearing up to celebrate what we think is the centenary of our small estate next year.
We'd love to hear from anyone who remembers Webber Row in the old days - the further back the better - or who might even have some old pics.
Alternatively, if anyone has older relatives or friends who remember growing up in Mawdley House, Dauncey House, Algar House, Delarch House or Overy House, we'd love to speak to them.
We've already heard that there was a bomb shelter built under the grassy area between Algar and Delarch - could you help us track down the baby that was apparently born down there during a WW2 raid?
We hope to collect old photographs, anecdotes and reminiscences and make a newsletter for the occasion.

Any help much appreciated!
Monday 10 May 2004 9.24pm
Jason.

Just around the corner in Peabody Blackfriars Road - would be happy to help you - I can if you like make a trip with anyone from Webber Row to the library behind John Harvard - they are bound to have loads of photos - but there will be a small cost involved! I know, I've bought a few of our estate and Blackfriars Road for my local project (which, after 5 years of work, lost everything on my PC so have to start from scratch!!!)

I work full time, so will have to make arrangements with you or whoever.

We have just started our newsletter for the area, so if you would like to be involved in that, please let me know - our new group is the Blackfriars Community Action Group.

Feel free to email me - jenny_marquis[at]hotmail.com
Saturday 28 February 2015 9.45pm
hi Jason
I lived in delarch buildings from 1940 to 1959 and did the paper round from about 1946-1951 all the blocks you mentioned Clapton bldgs. sumption Peabody etc. used to have the watneys pub at the end of the street the angel it was called. be in bed on a sunday night , could hear them all singing in a drunken mob down webber row what do you want as memories?
I can remember v e night we had a bonfire in the street and all the tarry blocks caught fire and the fire brigade had to put it out !!
came over to London about five years ago and visited the street what a change all round a bit of nostalger
anyway let me know if you want info
regards john
Sunday 1 March 2015 7.59pm
Lovely memories John, us kids earns a fortune nicking tarry blocks when they dug the roads up. Oh boy what a lovely flame and smell when they burnt! We put them in sacks and sold a sack for three bob. , when we saw the road workers digging them up we waited then swooped with pushchairs,carts,or barrers..
Sunday 1 March 2015 11.37pm
so jan you were one of the rival kids that moved in on our market!!!
I came to new zealand in 1967 and going back to london over the last few years it's hard to recongnise much it's changed so. had a walk down webber st and the buildings (overy,delarch,algar) looked small to me mind you I lived there growing up and scuttling down to westminster Rd secondry school every day, so much for memories
Monday 2 March 2015 9.25am
We were disappointed John as well as skint when all the roads were modernised! US London kids were the original recyclers, we collected waste paper and rags and sold them for halfpenny a stone probably to rag and bone man..old jars too. Sit for ages unpicking old woollens, washing the skeins of wool then winding around a big plate to be reused! Not all of our lives were that fruitful as a child..worse luck..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: