Do You Realise How Much Southwark Councillors Get Paid!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 22 July 2011 2.33pm
Blow me! I always thought being a Councillor was voluntary + expenses. Turns out the leader's on 60k min! Even the mad ones get 10k.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2057/member_expenses
Friday 22 July 2011 3.57pm
Why tell us...we will all just lose the will to live..
Friday 22 July 2011 4.58pm
I disagree.

The councillors are dealing with people like Rob Deck from LendLease. I'll bet you he's on a significant multiple of that.

They are also working with council officials that earn far more.

I want good people - no - amazing people running this Borough. It needs them. Amazing people are going other jobs where they can earn good money, if you want them you have to compete.

60k is for the council leader (I think) and not a mad salary; it's what a senior Teacher is earning in London, it's what a lot of council officers will be earning, it's low for a doctor, low for other jobs with similar skills (solicitor, surveyor etc).

You also have no job security, constant hassel and people like us harassing you in the street. You work unsociable hours, have meetings most evenings and campaign most weekends for your next election (or for someone elses).

I don't think anyone becomes a councillor for the money, if they do they are being stupid - and, if we're electing mad ones frankly that's our lookout - democracy eh?

Don't vote for anyone you don't think is worth it, would be my tip.

If you want to be upset about salaries at SC - I'd suggest this document instead.
Friday 22 July 2011 5.12pm
I am told by my political friends that lots of people become Councillors for the money. Particularly outside London then a couple, both with safe seats earning 30-40k each (quite possible) - plus endless benefits - are on a marvellous gravy train. Particularly when some such people would otherwise be unemployable.

I'd like to agree that paying people sensible salaries for these jobs means that sensible people take them. They don't.
Saturday 23 July 2011 6.21am
The Mapmaker wrote:
... a marvellous gravy train. Particularly when some such people would otherwise be unemployable.
I'd like to agree that paying people sensible salaries for these jobs means that sensible people take them. They don't.

this is just so stupid.

people who take on being elected to local government are saints - whatever party.

firstly, you need to be selected by your party - a group of people described by one australian exPM as 'people not even the presbyterian church would have as members'.

then, once elected, and that's not easy, you can expect to be approached and called 24/7 by voters.

most local government councillors are saints - if it's so easy mapmaker, you try it.

personally, i'd rather pay for local, involved councillors than some stupid bankers at canary wharf!
Saturday 23 July 2011 10.39am
I have had 2 particularly unpleasant episodes with the Council. One basically refusing or just blatantly being difficult to return a lot of money to me and the other just not doing their job which had a impact on some building work I was doing.

I phoned Linda Manchester on both occasions and within 1 hour one was sorted and the other was resolved within 2 days. She was professional, caring and superbly efficient. Both episodes, I believe, would not have been resolved but for her.

I have also sat in on 2 Council meetings for residents and she is a no nonsense Councillor who is fair and doesn't waste time. If she is on this money good for her. I think she's worth it as for the other Councillors I have no idea how good or bad they are as I have never encountered them.
Sunday 24 July 2011 8.21am
Jobsworths the lot of them And most useless. we could halve the number of them and notice no difference
Sunday 24 July 2011 12.05pm
boroughpaul wrote:
Jobsworths the lot of them And most useless. we could halve the number of them and notice no difference

It's a viewpoint, but it's not mine. And given the sweeping nature of his statement, I'm glad BP's only got one vote in elections, like the rest of us.
Sunday 24 July 2011 2.47pm
Most councillors I have met have been pretty OK, and they have stepped up when needed to help sort out local problems (to varying degrees of success). I would say, the councillors seem generally more competent than the S'wark council staff (although again with some capable / hardworking exceptions). Paying them a stipend for the hours they work seems sensible.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Sunday 24 July 2011 3.50pm
Debate would be helped if Southwark actually published the current (municipal year 2011-12) councillors allowances on their website and managed to get expenses and allowances set out consistently on the right pages of the borough website with no circular refernces!

At the moment, if you do a web search you just get political claim and counter-claim and no official numbers.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: