Youth facilities

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 April 2002 1.00pm
We have just moved into Waterloo with our teenage son and are anxious to find football/cricket facilities for him, or even a youth club. Can anyone help? Thanks. Lesley
Wednesday 10 April 2002 9.50pm
Difficult. My kids are younger but there is a shortage of things to do. That said there are:
- cricket activites centred around the Oval. In the past, as I understand, they tended to be based on school referral, which meant lots of opportunities for kids from private schools in Surrey, but less for local kids who might not get the introduction at school. There are now great schemes afoot to enhance community activities using land in Kennington Park so worth giving them a call;
- Waterloo has a very active Football Team called the Waterloo Football Club. They have regeneration funding to develop activities for younger kids. They can probably be most easily contacted through the Associaton of Waterloo Groups, or the Waterloo Community Regteneration Trust (via the South Bank Employers Group).
- My group - Friends of Archbishops Park - is working with Fulham Football in the Community to put on weekly football coaching sessions. Free 10-12 in the Park. It is for 7-15 year olds but the number of older kids are growing. Perhaps because the lack of alternatives.
- Blackfriars Settlement have youth activities and will know of more.
- The ADI (Lambeth Road by the entrance to Archbishops Park) has weekly martial arts sessions
- The St Johns Parish runs some form of youth club. I think one session for parishioners, the other open to all. Richard Truss the Vicar of Waterloo could put you in touch with the right person
- There is a gym/sports centre at Colombo St which is getting a lot of regeneration funding. Worth checking out what they have on.
- Further afield try the Ice Rink in Streatham with Saturday and Sunday morning courses. Real fun for teenagers and adults though you can start at 18 months. the ice hockey attracts a lot of teenagers. (59 or 159 bus from Lambeth North or 3 from the War Museum.)
- Find out what is on at Battersea Park. Lots at the athletics track. Football, tennis coaching and more.
- Rowing in Greenwich
- Worth also checking what the nearest sports centres are up to (Latchmere in Battersea - 344 from Lambeth Bridge; The Queen Mum in Victoria - C10 or 507 from Lambeth Bridge or Waterloo for the latter) and friends also use the one in Surrey Quays or the Peckham Pulse.
- the London Nautical School, Waterloo's Boys Secondary, is likely to be awarded some form of special Sports status which means they have to work more closely with the local community and open their facilities up more. I think the is quite a lot going on, maybe linked to regeneration activity. But maybe worth making contact to see if there is anything that is open to all or what they have learnt in the process of putting together their proposals for links with the community.
- some not very good facilities at the Elephant Leisure Centre, which seems in the process of falling down.

There are plans to improve facilities in Waterloo though not all are thrilled by the current proposed location in Doon St. By the time it is sorted I suspect your kids and mine will be collecting pensions.

And do join the Friends of Archbishops Park group. We are mainly mums and inter alia are working on ambitious plans to improve facilities in the park, and are keen to see more activities generally.

Aside from that Waterloo is a great place to live and my kids seem to love it. Though they are still at the age where they enjoy building sites.
-
Tuesday 16 April 2002 3.44pm
Dear Sarah,
Thanks so much for all the information about sports, etc. We have discovered Archbishops Park and shall certainly be kicking a ball around there on a regular basis! Shall check out the other ideas you have kindly given us. Thanks.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: