Harper's Cafe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 24 July 2011 6.26pm
I have had some pretty unpleasant experiences with the food at Harper’s Cafe (pretty much opposite Borough Market) over the years – but I went today and it was OK.

So, now my helpful hint to you fellow SE1ers: I think that as long as the prospective diner sticks to some fairly basic guidelines you can get away without wasting your money. It is by the way very cheap and open on Sunday so given the dearth of traditional caffs open in the area at the weekend worth bearing in mind:

(1) Tea. Not bad, served in a mug and strong.

(2) Coffee. Not great but drinkable (according to my companion; I am more of a 20+ cups of tea a day person so relatively ignorant of what does and does not make a great cup of coffee).

(3) Baked potato. Good. As to fillings, I would recommend the tuna or baked beans. Based upon observation of the counter-trays I would definitely steer clear of anything else.

(4) Chips. Not bad. Basic caff fare but you can, for example, assemble a decent chip butty.

(5) Sandwiches. With the caveat that you should inspect the potential filling in advance, probably worth giving a go.

(6) Anything else. Approach with caution. Particularly anything egg or meat based. Oh, and *definitely* avoid anything with cheese.

(7) Staff. Very pleasant and helpful.

Bon appetit!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: