Noise from Isabella Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thebunhouse Monday 25 July 2011 8.01am
Is anybody else suffering from the increased level of noise from the bars etc. on Isabella Street late at night and in the early hours of the morning. Over the recent weeks it seems to have increased and this last week has gone on until 2 a.m. and on Friday /Saturday continued past 3.20 a.m. I am sure their licenses do not allow such late night drinking and merrymaking on the public highway.
What can be done that effectively stops this nuisance?

Related news & features

James Hatts Monday 25 July 2011 8.07am
Jacks has applied for a 3am licence but there have been 15 objections:
http://app.southwark.gov.uk/Licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=835039

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
beetroot Monday 25 July 2011 9.23am
Jacks is unbelievably loud. I wouldn't want to sit outside EV because of Jacks. If it's that loud late at night I'm surprised anyone in that block of flats (Styles House?) can get any sleep. Jacks has full volume karaoke with it's doors wide open.
Windmill Taverns claim on their website to strongly believe in forging strong links with other businesses. Not sure EV see it that way.
Zoe Monday 25 July 2011 11.29am
The noise from Jacks bar particularly is appalling and it gets much worse when it's warmer as there are so many people stood outside.

It's too late to write to object to the 3am licence but I think we need to get as many people as possible down to the licensing meeting (which annoyingly are held during the day), so we can make it clear the impact Jacks already has upon us, and what a 3am licence will mean, so hopefully you'll be able to come.

We're going to take some photos and get some recordings of Jacks, so if anyone is an ace photographer and wants to assist please get in contact!!
Cllr Adele Morris Monday 25 July 2011 4.43pm
Zoe, I am afraid that the process is not the same as the planning committee and only those who have made written representations can speak at the hearing. I have objected and so I am happy to incorporate any details/photo's/recordings etc into my presentation to the committee if you send them to me. That said, I would encourage people to turn up in numbers and observe so that the commitee is aware of how serious the problem is.
Zoe Monday 25 July 2011 8.04pm
Thanks Cllr Morris, I shall send some stuff on.
Thebunhouse Tuesday 26 July 2011 8.24am
Thank you both (Zoe and Cllr Morris) for the information regarding the licensing application by Jack's Bar. More info is needed, time, date and place for the hearing please.
I live on Hatfields and the noise is driving me mad especially the latter end of the week.
AS Zoe writes it is much worse in the warm weather, I much prefer the winter when it is cold and wet with torrential rainfall at night because that seems to keep the raucous crowda inside, or away, and thus diminishes the hysterical laughter, high-pitched screaming, swearing and loud music.
Veronica Tuesday 26 July 2011 11.27am
The noise is already too much, both from the people outside the bar and when they leave. Car and taxi doors are slammed; alcohol-fuelled conversations are carried on at full volume outside my ground floor bedroom window as people wend their merry way home. Enough already!

Trying to find out when and where the hearing is, I followed James' link above and note that:

847 - No patrons shall sit outside the premises between the hours off 2300 hours and 0900 hrs.

Does this mean it is OK to stand outside? Every single night the pedestrian road beyond the premises, is blocked from early evening until closing.

When & where is the hearing?
Cllr Adele Morris Tuesday 26 July 2011 12.57pm
I don't think they have set a date for the hearing yet. I will post on this thread when they have.
styles33 Monday 8 August 2011 4.36pm
the notice of hearing for jacks arches,96 joan street,se1 will be on the wednesday 31st of august 2011 at 10.00 am in 150 toolet street,london se1,room GO2A/GO2B.
please do tell your neighbours and let's turn up in numbers to show the commitee how serious we are about this matter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions