Bottle collection noise in Shad Thames - which roads?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
leo
Tuesday 26 July 2011 2.07pm
Hello All

I have been lurking for months before moving to SE1. I finally moved in about a month ago to The Circle. I am renting but hopefully I will buy in the area (just waiting for the prices to drop a bit ;-)

Anyway, question for those who have been in Shad Thames for longer - I have read some people complaining about the noise of bottles being collected from the restaurants in Shad Thames in the early morning. And I have looked at a few flats overlooking Curlew and Lafone streets.

Is the bottle collection noise mostly in Shad Thames itself (the pedestrianised area close to the river), or over in Curlew and Lafone? In other words to the collection trucks drive all the way close to the river or do they stay in Curlew and Lafone and bring the bottles over?

I could wake up at 5am and check it out myself but so far have been unable to! ;-)

Thanks!

Leo
Tuesday 26 July 2011 2.38pm
leo wrote:
Hello All
(just waiting for the prices to drop a bit ;-)

Leo

Leo,
Prices actually went up last year.... (I was also renting for 2 years and bought in Dec in the Circle)
I don't expect that good parts of SE1 will see prices fall unless the whole economy crashes again, in which case better hope you are a cash buyer as you won't get a mortgage....
leo
Tuesday 26 July 2011 3.28pm
Hi Brendan

Yes I have been noticing the prices going up. I guess one problem with Shad Thames is that there is not much on offer at any point in time, which pushes prices up.

I am waiting for interest rates to go up a bit, that should help push prices down...

But I have one trick to make prices go down - buy something smaller!

Leo
Wednesday 27 July 2011 12.49am
I wouldn't worry - if you are not woken up by the noise now then it clearly is not a problem and if you are planning to move elsewhere in SE1 you can always check out the specific places then.

...what you should *really* be concerned about is the danger of living in a low-lying floodplain ;)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Wednesday 27 July 2011 7.21am
leo wrote:
I could wake up at 5am and check it out myself but so far have been unable to! ;-)

Thanks!

Leo

i lived on shad thames for 13 years, the last few they seemed to collect bottles about 8am/ 9am near the restuarants, but you could hear all along the shad twas very noisy, unless of course you like the sound of breaking glass, then you are in luck
Wednesday 27 July 2011 9.44am
The bottle collection noise you mention is actually from the flats in the area. All the big blocks now have large recycle bins, which do make a racket when tipped into the back of the truck.
Wednesday 27 July 2011 9.53am
Hi, we moved in about 4 months ago to a first floor flat overlooking curlew street.

Yes it can be a bit noisy with the glass emptying and lorries reversing but it's only ever for a shortish period of time so not not overly intrusive. It's sometimes very early in the morning (including Saturdays) You get used to it to be honest - all part of living so close to the buzz I guess!

You also get lots of taxis picking up (leaving engine running) and dropping off on Curlew street which again can be a bit noisy but again, not overly intrusive.

If We found a flat at the right price this wouldn't put me off.
Monday 19 September 2011 11.54am
Hi, just to bring this topic up again. Did anyone hear the noise this morning from the All Bar One bottle collection on Curlew street? The bottle recycling lorry normally comes at 9.30am and is done in 5 minutes using the lifting mechanism on the back of the lorry. Today the lorry turned up at 5am parked up and one person seemed to be collecting the bottles by hand until 5.45 am making a lot of noise.

Does anyone know what the best way to proceed would be so this doesn't happen again? I am guessing I should contact Southwark council noise team or their recycling collection dept? Has anyone had any experience of dealing with such a problem in SE1 before?

Thanks
Wednesday 21 September 2011 9.09am
A few years ago this used to be a problem with general rubbish collection.

I contacted the council and they were very helpful - turned out the lorry was not supposed to collect before a certain time (I think it was 7am but I can't remember the details) and they were coming around at 5am. The trucks actually have monitors on them so that managers in the depot can monitor where they are and when. They raised this issue a few ties with the crew and it eventually stopped.

Not sure how or if this applies to recycling - they do collect quite early but I've not found it a problem. I'd start with the council and go from there - as I say they've always been quite responsive.

(They were also very helpful with a streetlight outside a bedroom window)

Hope that's useful.
Friday 30 September 2011 12.21pm
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm happy to say the recycling lorry hasn't been back at such an early hour! I contacted the council but the noise team only works 7am until 2am so they said they would not be able to witness the noise and so could not do anything about it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: