Alan Kitching’s Borough High Street print

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 28 July 2011 3.14pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5442
Would you hang this on your wall? Bit bland for my taste.

No mention of price but judging by this Kitching on the Advanced graphics website I imagine The Borough is also selling around the £700 mark.
Friday 29 July 2011 1.29pm
I like it. (but the coverage on this website puts the oak on lant st, not tabard st)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 29 July 2011 9.22pm
Saturday 30 July 2011 12.16am
It seems to imply that Long Lane runs parallel to BHS. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong! Someone please correct me if so...
Saturday 30 July 2011 10.30am
Mental Dental - the tiny part of Long Lane that meets Tabard Street is almost parallel with BHS
Saturday 30 July 2011 10.50am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Blimey!

MentalDental wrote:
It seems to imply that Long Lane runs parallel to BHS. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong! Someone please correct me if so...
I got the impression Long Lane was positioned on the print to draw your eye to where it could be purchased.

I will be printing this in a strictly limited run at £99-99 each. The run is limited to how many people actually want to buy one, so please get your cheque in the post.
Saturday 30 July 2011 11.12am
May I draw your attention to this:
http://stbride.org/events/typographyalankitching1956-2007

The dates imply that he is no longer with us, but he most certainly is!!
Wednesday 10 August 2011 11.41am
Phoney, I'm afraid that you might run into copyright problems.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 12.07pm
That price is horrendously high. Doesn't even say it's framed (by which I infer that it is unframed).

Even at London prices, I could buy several very good prints by recognised artists from e.g. Bankside Gallery or South Bank Printmakers (hope I've got the name right. I mean the unit in Gabriel's Wharf) for £1,254 (the price of the Kitchener print incl. VAT).

Stick it on a tea towel for a tenner, and if you caught me at a weak moment I might buy one.

Monday 15 August 2011 3.54pm
As a personal sacrifice on behalf of forum readers, I forced myself to go and see this print in The Oak last week.

It does look good. The Oak have managed to get their hands on print no.1, which is a little bit extra special.

I had a conversation with Frank about the print, and I expressed my views as to its cost. He told me a little that he'd learnt about the printing process, and said that it was all done by hand on an old letterpress m/c, and that it took a large number of pressings (7 or 8, perhaps?) to get each separate layer of colour onto the finished print, which did help a philistine like me understand where the cost comes from, and which gave me an increased respect for the print as an object.

I still think it's expensive. But it's a nice thing, and I'll enjoy looking at it when I'm in The Oak.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: