Brandon House / St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 31 July 2011 11.58am
I understand there is a planning application in to knock down Brandon House and put in flats... does anyone have more detail / the planning number? Or know how much taller this will be than St GtM?

Related news & features

Sunday 31 July 2011 9.05pm
The plans are in the process of being revised, I think, but they were for a building with a maximum height of around 30m (eight storeys) - and mainly of five and six storeys.
Saturday 24 August 2013 12.29pm
The latest scheme is coming to the planning committee on 3 September:
http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=4632&x=1&;

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 3 September 2013 11.08pm
And this utterly joyless scheme gets approved despite going against planning policies, impacting on historical local sites, being the subject of numerous objections and a petition...

DRAMATIC INCREASE OF OVERSHADOWING TO LITTLE DORRIT PARK:

- Children will no longer be playing in sunlight in the winter months.
- Trees and plants will suffer.
- The ground will remain frosty and icy for longer in winter.

ADDITIONAL PARKING STRESS:

- 130 new flats but NO dedicated parking solution.

LOSS OF HISTORIC VIEWS TO THE CHURCH:

- St. George the Martyr's clock and spire almost completely obscured.
- Loss of important way-finder and historic landmark.
Sunday 8 September 2013 3.38pm
Nobody seems to care about whether new buildings over-shadow green spaces and the long term effect this will have on the environment and on the people who use these spaces. And the building they want to put us is so unattractive; I can't see how it is any better than what is currently on the corner.
Sunday 8 September 2013 4.46pm
I actually think it looks perfectly nice and certainly a lot better than the current, rather gloomy, Brandon House.

Luckily this office building is being replaced by flats that we need in order to create more supply in an already overheated property market.

No parking solution IS the solution, because I don't think we need more cars in London. This will encourage people to use public transportation.

The building looks somewhat higher than Brandon House but to say that plants will suffer and that the grounds will be colder and frostier is slightly silly if not ridiculous. Degustibus non est disputandem, but we must stay reasonable.
Sunday 8 September 2013 5.54pm
This is beautiful -- yes, it's not amazing architecture, but it brings real people and commerce to a street that -- for too many years -- has been devoid of life and joy. It can't happen fast enough!
Sunday 8 September 2013 6.12pm
The current building is a hideous eyesore. Surely this must be an improvement . No dedicated parking though will put more pressure on the already very limited residents parking provided at the moment. I don't see why some off street parking isn't provided in all new builds
Sunday 8 September 2013 9.17pm
Thanks Maurits - however, those comments about Little Dorrit Park are not my assumptions but came from a report by a landscape architect who reviewed the impact so I don't personally consider them 'silly' or 'ridiculous', and 'somewhat higher' is an understatement. I don't like Brandon House but this scheme really isn't sympathetic to the surrounding environment.

maurits wrote:
The building looks somewhat higher than Brandon House but to say that plants will suffer and that the grounds will be colder and frostier is slightly silly if not ridiculous. Degustibus non est disputandem, but we must stay reasonable.
Sunday 8 September 2013 9.35pm
It's also going to keep the school playground of St Josephs in shade which I am really surprised the developers been able to get away with. I know residents don't have a right to daylight ... but surely a school playground should?

And like emmab, I'm also not against more housing [though would prefer it to be more social/family orientated as there is so little of that ilk being built in the local area] just that particular scheme which is significantly taller than the existing eyesore and thus the impact it will have on the local [currently very well used] facilities.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: