Riots - updates and is everyone OK?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Monday 8 August 2011 11.21pm
Please use this thread for updating the current situation where you are and if you need any reassurance. If you need help please phone the emergency services. If you get no joy with them do let us know here. Let's all support each other where we can!

Heard quite a few sirens around Elephant, reports of Argos having been looted on OKR 4 photo's down.
Friends in USA saying they haven't heard anything about it - news blackout.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.27pm
News blackout in the US? What's that about. Sorry, off topic and you are totally right to keep this for updates.

The Guardian has just posted a map:

Looks less up to date than the West Londoner who is doing amazing work.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.35pm
So... yes, no heavy politics on this thread. We're here to support, inform and reassure in necessary!

We're hearing various bangs in the middle distance now. Hopefully they won't be able to get access to the Shopping Centre but I worry about the businesses round here, and of course anyone who lives above them, thinking of the fire in Tottenham.

Apparently the news blackout in the US is to stop copycat action. They must be really worried.

Had eyewittness info about looting on the Walworth Road. Foot Locker got it and East Street
Monday 8 August 2011 11.39pm
Footlocker seems to be the hot target.
Whereabouts are you?
Monday 8 August 2011 11.48pm
Indeed. It's high value and portable. Shoes at 100+ are easy to move and aren't tagged like phones.

So what's happening where you are? We're just getting lines of police whizzing back and forth by the sound of it.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.53pm
I'm not in a shopping area. Lots of police and ambulance sirens along Tower Bridge Road and Abbey St but not much else. Just worried for friends.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.55pm
Just seen someone posting on Twitter: "just got mugged and beaten up by 20 or so kids in masks and hoods in elephant & castle".

Wonder how many other crimes are happening tonight while police attention is focused on riots.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.57pm
You and me both. And there are shops etc over that way. My worry is things will become a target as they get driven out of other areas.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.59pm
Old Kent road and Tower Bridge road being looted right now, police slowly arriving...
Tuesday 9 August 2011 12.02am
Flip all happening over the border here in South Bermondsey / Southwark Park Road; haven't ventured up to the Blue but it's all quiet apart from the sirens which are passing through as best I can tell. Shops are shuttered up and a couple have gangs of heavies, but I'm pretty sure they're mates of the owners there for defensive purposes in the event...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: